Author Topic: Flat-bow/American longbow grip styles  (Read 2480 times)

Offline shooter123

• UK
Flat-bow/American longbow grip styles
« on: January 16, 2021, 09:54:59 pm »
Does the style of bow grip make a difference to shooting? I'm looking at 68 inch bows to complement my homemade bow, but have noticed there is a big selection on grip styles. Some even have re-curve pistol grips.

Here are the bows I'm looking at, hopefully the link sorts them all merlinarchery.co.uk/bows/traditional-bows/flatbows.html?att_traditional_bow_length295&product_list_dir=asc&product_list_limit30&product_list_order=price]https://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/bows/traditional-bows/flatbows.html?att_traditional_bow_length=295&product_listdir=asc&product_list_limit=30product_list_order=price

Is there a grip shape preference for these types of bow?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 05:50:32 pm by Marc St Louis »
Nock... Mark... Draw... Loose!

Offline Nasr

Re: Flat-bow/American longbow grip styles
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 10:05:59 pm »
are you trying to start a war in here? Dont you know those types of bows arent allowed on here  ;D

Offline shooter123

• UK
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 10:12:45 pm »
are you trying to start a war in here? Dont you know those types of bows arent allowed on here  ;D

Are they not? Oh dear, well sorry then. Thing is I can't find offhand style longbows for online anywhere apart from expensive English longbows.

Offline scp

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 10:43:53 pm »
IMHO we can talk about fiberglass bows, their designs and performances. I have several old fiberglass recurves and compound bows to study them in comparison with wooden bows I make.  But we are not expected to talk about how to make them here. As for the handle designs, almost any commercial flatbow will be acceptable, as most of them can be made in wood by hand. I personally think center-shot pistol grips are not quite "primitive" enough.

Offline shooter123

• UK
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 11:34:48 pm »
I'm not sure its cut past center, but I could be wrong. merlinarchery.co.uk/oakridge-boga-flatbow.html]https://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/oakridge-boga-flatbow.html

I like the look of that bow, but not sure how a pistol grip would feel.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 05:51:26 pm by Marc St Louis »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 11:50:19 pm »
You are the one shooting the bow - fit the grip to your comfort and accuracy.  If you are trying to more or less replicate a bow style, follow that design and make it comfortable to shoot.  I am pretty sure most bows were made to fit the archer to some extent.  If it is wood, it is good :BB (SH) - as long as it is made and tillered correctly!  I am by no measure an expert bowyer!   Otherwise, no comment!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline shooter123

• UK
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 12:20:05 am »
You are the one shooting the bow - fit the grip to your comfort and accuracy.  If you are trying to more or less replicate a bow style, follow that design and make it comfortable to shoot.  I am pretty sure most bows were made to fit the archer to some extent.  If it is wood, it is good :BB (SH) - as long as it is made and tillered correctly!  I am by no measure an expert bowyer!   Otherwise, no comment!
Hawkdancer

This is for a bow I'm buying rather than making, also I can't try any out before ordering due to covid lockdown.

Offline HH~

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 07:14:00 am »
Center or close to center shot grips are plenty primitive. Primitive as fire or the spear. Make of buy what shoots the best young fella.

Same few guys that'll gang bang ya here if you dont fall into their way of thinking. Look at Whip Ended thread you'll see the trend!

Look at title of thread AMERICAN LONGbow Grip Style. Does not surprise me to figure the Old World will not consider that Primitive enough for them at all.

Shawn~
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:43:28 am by HH~ »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 08:16:07 am »
If you're new to archery a pistol grip imo would probably allow for more consistent hand placement. Good luck on your selection.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 08:22:59 am »
First off the link you posted is against our rules so I have disabled it.
 Handle style is mostly a personal preference. I use a bulbous handle for most of the bows I build no matter the style of the bow. Some bows, like the Howard Hill style have a specific style of handle but you can still build a HH style bow with any style of handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 08:31:48 am »
IMO the handle shape is totally your choice, I don't find it makes a huge difference, you'll get used to it like you do to new shoes.
Center shot is generally more accurate for beginners.

BTW,
I just realized Shawn's username is the same as the Archery Legend's initials. Clever ;D

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 10:26:48 am »
Does the style of bow grip make a difference to shooting?

It is mostly personal preference, but I would say the pistol grip style is more conducive to the higher wrist position while the Hill style straight handle is more suited to the lower wrist position. As noted, a pistol grip will locate your hand more consistently which helps with developing a consistent shot cycle and accuracy.

Mark