Author Topic: Couple pieces of obsidian  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Couple pieces of obsidian
« on: January 09, 2021, 03:46:17 pm »
These should make a few arrowheads. Triflow, midnight lace, and some black butter dacite. Looks like I’ll be needing to take another trip to glass buttes for my birthday this spring, only a couple of these rocks left.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Couple pieces of obsidian
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 04:57:02 pm »
Either a bunch of them or a couple really big ones.lol

Nice stash

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 08:10:50 pm »
Looks like some nice stuff

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 06:13:30 pm »
That'll keep you busy! This past fall I got turned onto a lady wanting to get rid of her collection of chunks. My friend went to her place with 16, 5 gallon buckets and filled them all up. She has more! I will have to check in to see how much more she wants to get rid of, plus I have about 500 lbs at home. In a normal year I might go through 25-50 lbs in the museum.

Since my museum has been closed I have not been doing much knapping. Too much time in uniform answering questions....

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 08:31:04 pm »
So how do I get that job? Are you normally doing knapping demonstrations? I worked fire and forestry for the North cascades park, few buddies went to rangers and higher up positions but we worked with the interpretive rangers and they had the cool jobs of showing off the park and such and then we did a side job with the archeologists studying the tribes around our park and THAT would be a sweet job. They knew of so many amazing places, history/lifestyles and rock sources and yeah, all the stuff flintknappers seem to love haha.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 11:23:23 pm »
Ben,  I Might have to send a few empty buckets your way :KN :-K (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 11:20:43 am »
Yeah Tracker - I am a Park Ranger/Indian Cultural Demonstrator. Most of the time I do knapping. I also make cordage from Dog bane, some wood carving, leather work, some beading a little basketry from time to time. I answer questions about the natives of this area and some other broader native topics. There is one other young lady who works with me. She is a local native and her forte is beadwork. She is learning some basketry, but this whole covid mess kind of has things on hold.

Since our visitor center operation has been moved outside since last March it has been too cold recently to do any knapping outside.