Author Topic: Broadheads from saw blades  (Read 5803 times)

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
Broadheads from saw blades
« on: January 12, 2021, 03:23:28 pm »
After viewing the post by DQ on how he made his broadheads from saw blades and using glue on field points, just had to say that they looked awesome. With 3 heads costing $25 up, mainly up, these heads sure look mighty fine. For the guy that likes the heavier heads, this is perfect for them because you can make them as heavy as you want. As well as singe bevel or double, up to you. with dremil tools etc, shouldn't take that long to make some heads as good or better than what you can buy. And saw blades are everywhere, both new and used. I just have to try the chisel thing as said by several. but using target or field points like he did is steller.

Offline mmattockx

Re: Broadheads from saw blades
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 04:21:09 pm »
And saw blades are everywhere, both new and used.

Be aware that not all saw blades can be hardened. Of the few I have tried, maybe 35-40% of the carbide tooth blades will take a quench. If you can find old steel tooth blades those should mostly work OK.

Mark

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 05:18:21 pm »
And saw blades are everywhere, both new and used.

Be aware that not all saw blades can be hardened. Of the few I have tried, maybe 35-40% of the carbide tooth blades will take a quench. If you can find old steel tooth blades those should mostly work OK.

Mark
yeah I saw that, since my father didn't and doesn't throw anything away, he should have several of the older ones lying around. its just finding them LOL. still got to be better than spoon heads

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 05:23:16 pm »
I just figured out that this is on the forge site, sorry, meant to go on the campfire site. I do some forging, just not very much these days. loved making knives etc.

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 07:51:19 am »
Saw blade, as in circular saw blade make good broadheads, but not great knives. A broadhead only has to stay sharp for 12" to 15" through a deer

I made a printable sheet for gluing to saw blade to cut out 125 grain heads. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lW1vidYJhc9aY7PIaHSMd_wDM2eQyEOz/view?usp=sharing

No glue and I lash them in with sinew. Old picture previous design.

"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 03:19:52 pm »
Saw blade, as in circular saw blade make good broadheads, but not great knives. A broadhead only has to stay sharp for 12" to 15" through a deer

I made a printable sheet for gluing to saw blade to cut out 125 grain heads. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lW1vidYJhc9aY7PIaHSMd_wDM2eQyEOz/view?usp=sharing

No glue and I lash them in with sinew. Old picture previous design.

looks pretty awesome and very clean. couldn't get thru to see what you had on the sheet.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 12:15:39 am »
Might find some old saws in flea markets, estate sale, etc.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 07:11:22 am »
yeah, the older the better without the carbide teeth. I have seen a lot of them in the past in the scrapyard or metal yard.