Author Topic: Is the early wood the weak link to cause set?  (Read 37643 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Is the early wood the week link to cause set?
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2021, 03:45:32 pm »
Maybe I missed something, but what is the point of building a bow to test the compression strength of edge ring osage if you put horn on the belly?  It looks like a great bow, but what about the test?

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2021, 03:54:07 pm »
I'm pretty sure that it began to take set earlier than Arvin's "normal" selfbows...the horn belly was done to save the stave and to also test the horn belly.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline sleek

« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2021, 04:07:13 pm »
The horn is going to test the backs ability to hold. The belly already showed it can't take the strain like normal ring orientation.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2021, 04:18:09 pm »
No sleek but that would make taking 6# off a lot easier. Hungry now. Be back soon
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2021, 05:32:12 pm »
I'm pretty sure that it began to take set earlier than Arvin's "normal" selfbows...the horn belly was done to save the stave and to also test the horn belly.

Yes I’m not going to test the stave to more failure than normal. No need to. Answer edge grain is not as good by its self. Going to try the horn on belly. If that doesn’t work there will be one last try. Reduce the back and put boo on it. This will make the edge grain act as a series of I beams separated by the early wood. Then I give up. The y’all have to go back to the computer.

Offline PatM

« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2021, 06:01:53 pm »
The horn is going to test the backs ability to hold. The belly already showed it can't take the strain like normal ring orientation.

Horn is not as stiff as wood and bends easier.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2021, 06:12:16 pm »

I think the point is to get the compression  in line. Even the tension and compression. Without set.

Offline sleek

« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2021, 06:13:17 pm »

Then its perfect for this!

Offline PatM

« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2021, 06:19:39 pm »
Yes.  There was a big argument a few years back where even the horn bow guys were of the opinion that horn would easily break a wood back.    Obviously a wood back can still break  with a horn belly but they were saying it was practically going to blow apart the back early on as if it forced the back into greater tension stress right away.

Offline sleek

« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2021, 06:35:55 pm »
Yes.  There was a big argument a few years back where even the horn bow guys were of the opinion that horn would easily break a wood back.    Obviously a wood back can still break  with a horn belly but they were saying it was practically going to blow apart the back early on as if it forced the back into greater tension stress right away.

I honestly thought horn was stiffer, thats why I reccomend reducing its width on the belly.. I hope he hasn't done it yet, or I'm going to be the reason his bow is messed up.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #160 on: February 02, 2021, 06:39:09 pm »

Yes I’m not going to test the stave to more failure than normal. No need to. Answer edge grain is not as good by its self. Going to try the horn on belly. If that doesn’t work there will be one last try. Reduce the back and put boo on it. This will make the edge grain act as a series of I beams separated by the early wood. Then I give up. The y’all have to go back to the computer.

The one thing I wonder is kinda what Pat was saying. We don’t necessarily want stiff. We want a bend designed to spread out stresses and out evenly. And a material that wants to spring back to its original shape preferably very quickly.

Cardboard is stiff, but it doesn’t seem to bend well to me. It’s seems like it would just kink over.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #161 on: February 02, 2021, 06:40:49 pm »
Not saying that will happen here.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #162 on: February 02, 2021, 07:02:20 pm »
Here is the bow we are working on and a Osage with Horn on the back. The one with horn on the back took no set. That one is same length but 1-1/2 at fades. 48@28

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2021, 07:03:13 pm »

+1

I honestly thought horn was stiffer, thats why I reccomend reducing its width on the belly..

Bovine horn is ~35-40% as stiff as typical bow hardwoods. Its big advantage is that it will survive strains that are several times more than the wood will.

Mark

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2021, 07:03:53 pm »
Oh it weighs in at 26oz