Author Topic: nodes or not with the cane arrows?  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
nodes or not with the cane arrows?
« on: January 15, 2021, 03:32:24 pm »
I'm calling it river cane because it came from the river. we also call it switch cane here in western Arkansas. But the nodes are pronounced on this cane. I have been lightly knocking them down to get the sharpness dulled. To be fair, I have only shoot them out of laminated recurves and longbows so far, just haven't taken the time to shoot them out of any none lam selfbows yet. I was concerned about strength lost if sanding them down smooth and even breakage at these joints. I have access to plenty of it and mean to shoot it a lot. I just watched Primitive Hunter video where he was shooting heavy spined arrows very well and his nodes were sanded down. But I am also certain that his cane was a different species than mine. My cane tends to swell near joints and have deep depressions that would be easily seen. my cane is tapered more so than his but it is still a viable resource for me. to sand or not?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: nodes or not with the cane arrows?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 03:45:47 pm »
Some folks sand the nodes smooth but not until after straightening. They can easily break while straightening if sanded first. That is why I tried something different. After straightening I go back and heat a node and compress it by rolling it on a hard smooth surface with a block of hardwood. This compresses the node somewhat. I also use a knife to remove the narrow corky ridge that runs around the node separating the 2 internodes.  Switch cane(A. tecta)  grows to about 7', similar to hill cane(A. appalachiana). River cane(A. gigantia) grows to 16" or more. My guess is that you have river cane unless the majority of it grows very tall. Most of the cane breaks in the S.E. US is switch cane.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 05:00:30 pm »
Some folks sand the nodes smooth but not until after straightening. They can easily break while straightening if sanded first. That is why I tried something different. After straightening I go back and heat a node and compress it by rolling it on a hard smooth surface with a block of hardwood. This compresses the node somewhat. I also use a knife to remove the narrow corky ridge that runs around the node separating the 2 internodes.  Switch cane(A. tecta)  grows to about 7', similar to hill cane(A. appalachiana). River cane(A. gigantia) grows to 16" or more. My guess is that you have river cane unless the majority of it grows very tall. Most of the cane breaks in the S.E. US is switch cane.
Thanks for that tip on heating and rolling the nodes, I will have to try that. should still keep most of the interity of the shaft's strength.  this cane grows to about 15 to 16 feet tall. thanks, Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 07:10:12 pm »
Jerry, sounds like you may have river cane if it grows that tall. I've never seen river cane growing in the wild, only raw shafting. My knowledge of it is it has large pronounced nodes with a very pronounced sulcus(indentation above the node), thin walls, a large diameter hole and considerable taper, more so than the other 2 native canes. It will make a good arrow but switch cane and hill cane make better arrows mainly because of the size of the nodes and the thinness of the walls. The Cherokee used river cane to make their double weave water tight baskets and their blow guns. Might make good atlatl darts too.
I'll be harvesting hill cane pretty soon. If you would like to try some I'm sure we can come up with a trade.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 07:51:37 pm »
Yep, sounds just like this cane we have here.  I am Western Cherokee, my father is an Elder but my great grandparents denied it to be able to own land and work without supervision. So, most of our heritage thru the family was lost in terms of traditions. My grandfather showed me some things but that was 50 years ago. He and his father made a lot of smaller crossbows with osage and cedar bows. they hunted small game with them. He talked about his father and uncles making bows etc. If you want of this cane, you will have to tell me how long and what diameter at the base of the shaft. I will send you some no problem.  I just have to harvest it. Jerry

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 09:11:27 pm »
I sand And file the nodes on my home grown bamboo arrow shafts after heat straightening.  They seem to not lose any strength.  I’ve missed my target bag completely and had one bamboo arrow go full speed into the brick front of my house.  The tip got smashed a bit bit held together due to the sinew wrapping.  I just cut it an inch shorter and kept shooting.