Author Topic: Where can I get horn for elb nocks.  (Read 6425 times)

Offline Nasr

Where can I get horn for elb nocks.
« on: January 16, 2021, 05:30:17 pm »
I live  in Michigan and I searched eBay and googled for some horn but honestly I don’t know what I am looking for. I do t even know what type of horn is used. I have never purchased horn and never worked with it. If anyone can point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it. I am trying to make an ELB and I feel as though that the horn is a must it’s just so god darn pretty and without it I feel it would be lacking.

Offline RyanY

Re: Where can I get horn for elb nocks.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 06:04:09 pm »
I am also in Michigan. I ordered a couple kilos from a guy on Facebook that sells a lot of horn and sinew from Vietnam. If you want to stay local, I know Matt Wirwicki was selling some at least a few years ago.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 07:46:24 pm »
I don’t necessarily need it to be local just thought maybe there might be someone on here who knows a seller or is a seller. But it is nice to know someone here is from Michigan I am sure there are a bunch more just don’t know anyone or ask.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 08:54:24 pm »
I think cow horn works fine.  There is a cattle farm up the road from me, I may be able to get some if you want to trade.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 10:14:06 pm »
you guys are all awesome i appreciate all the help.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 11:53:28 pm »
Antler works, too.  If you got a hunter buddy who got a buck and doesn't want the antlers >:D (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Nasr

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 08:41:47 pm »
 Honestly I need to make more friends that hunt lol. Actually seems like I need to make more friends in general and don’t know much people here that are into archery or hunting. I am very certain there are a bunch here just never got to know any of them. Are there bow making gatherings here in Michigan?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 07:50:47 am »
Where in Michigan are you?  Have you heard of the MLA?  I found out about them right as I was leaving the state.  Their Great Lakes Longbow Invitational is a very big deal.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 12:37:43 pm »
Usually there is a big doings at Marshall, Memorial Day weekend, I think!  Lots of stuff is getting divided out, though.  Keep an eye out for announcements on here. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline RyanY

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 02:36:20 pm »
If we can have Marshall this year pending COVID, remind me and I’ll bring you some horn if I can attend.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 08:43:34 pm »
I appreciate that will keep an eye out. Also looked up the MLA and found their websites seems like it would be fun to attend.