Author Topic: Osage and rotten wood  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
Osage and rotten wood
« on: January 20, 2021, 05:22:11 am »
being new to Osage and bow building, I have seen some places on and in a stave that were different from the rest of the wood, mainly in the handle area that will most likely be taken out later. As hard as osage can be and from all of the old still surviving fence posts made out of it knows when, I never thought about it actually rotting. but it is a bit crumbly there and far more dried out. is this that common or just happens occasionally?

Offline ssrhythm

Re: Osage and rotten wood
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 11:44:46 am »
Is it around a knot?  If it's an old knot hole where a limb that died was, there will likely be rotten or pithy remnants of the old limb that can usually be pushed out or cleaned up and separated from the good wood rather easily.  I've cut a decent amount of osage, but the trees I have access to are either so giant and tangled with other trees that they are far beyond my capabilities of safely felling, or they are younger trees 12"-14" max diameter.  I've looked hard at the giant tangled trees I have access to, because there are several that have lots big limbs that would produce a ton of great staves...and these trees have wood that is deep, deep orange and drool worthy.  While studying the trees trying to figure out how I might cut them, I've noticed that nearly all of them have large areas where big limbs used to be but have fallen or been knocked off.  All of these area have significant rot like I described above, just much larger areas, and these rotted areas seem to extend deep into the center of the tree.  The only living wood on a tree is the outter most ring of the trunk and limbs and the leaves and fruit, so if that inner, dead wood is exposed to the elements, it is going to start to decay to some degree.  I'm pretty sure that the heart of these big trees I have access to are all rotted and hollowed out to some degree.  You might have staves from a similar, older tree.  That should not be a problem at all if you can remove the rot completely and still have nice, hard, orange or yellow, solid wood to surrounding the bow that you will carve from it.

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 01:35:46 pm »
the friend that provided me these staves has said that a surprisingly lot of the trees he cuts have rot somewhere and sometimes you don't know it until you thin a limb or handle. it is what it is, I just never imagined rot in osage like this.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 01:30:07 am »
osage usually does not have rot,,

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 06:01:27 am »
osage usually does not have rot,,
that's what I had thought, but my friend in Kansas seems to have it a lot in his area for some reason. I can see it in several places on these staves in areas to be removed. it is totally different in every way from the good wood. chalky and brittle, different color and no evidence of a knot. it crumbles quite easily at times. I am wondering if one ground out a small pocket like in the handle and maybe other places if they could fill the void with epoxy mixed with osage saw dust to make it solid. may be a form of tree disease.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 06:06:25 am »
Pics?

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 03:05:30 pm »
Pics?
Ryan, pics are rather difficult right now. I am very electronically challenged after several strokes and a ruptured brain aneurysm so my wife has to figure out how to do this. unfortunately, I have removed most of my rot. where the good wood is a yellow color. the rot will be a brownish color that is very porous looking like something dried out too long. From what my friend described to me, it can be anywhere and even all over a log. it may be the area that he is at, just not the best place for osage even though he says it is everywhere.

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 10:02:42 pm »
Are you saying that you are encountering these bad areas within wood wood...I mean they are surrounded by good wood, you think all is well and can see no bad wood, and cutting in uncovers pockets of this stuff?  If so, that would be extremely weird.  I'm in for pics also if you can get them posted.

Offline Tom Dulaney

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 10:07:58 pm »
Hey look, another rotten osage thread. Maybe we should compile a dataset showing us how many of these threads are made weekly, so we can finally convince people to stop wasting their time on this funky, overrated wood.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 06:49:55 am »
This is an easy going site Tom, we don't pick fights like it appears that you are trying to do.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 08:24:32 am »
There is a fungi for every wood specie out there, even osage. If it wasn't the ground would be littered with 10 mile deep fallen trees. I've pulled old locust fence post out of the ground that the barbwire and staples had rusted to almost nothing and the wood was still sound enough for bow building. Same with osage. But I've found both that had rot in them, not much but rot none the less.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 08:54:28 am »
Almost all the osage I cut locally has this to some degree, the wood on either side of the split dark wood is sound and makes great bows, good enough to win national championships.

Every now and then I cut a sound log but not often, here are a few.