Author Topic: Hunting bow attempt #5. build along/help  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Fox

Hunting bow attempt #5. build along/help
« on: January 20, 2021, 01:52:42 pm »
Still on the quest to take a whitetail with wood and metal... I keep making bows I'm not happy with  :P......  heres a locust stave I'm chasing a ring on now, I'm trying to decide what to do with it. What design for a reliable hunting bow? I'm open to anything. The stave is 1" thick, 69" long, and 3" wide. it has a good few big knots/thorns. My draw is 25-27". the areas I hunt are often in mountain loral or open forest.... what is some of yalls top bows?  :BB :-D ;)

-Fox

Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline bassman

Re: Hunting bow attempt #5. build along/help
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 07:26:34 am »
Jawge cut his teeth with black locust for bow wood. Thought he would have been along by now. My experience with black locust is limited to nine bows, so I am certainly no authority with this wood, or any other wood for that matter. Of the nine attempts the first 5 were failures. I either got belly fret, or the bow's back broke. It had thin rings, so I just removed the bark, and that was the back. Not good locust. The last 4 bows were from  a good log with nice thick rings, and knot free, and had some snake. I sinew backed a 45, 52, and 62 inch , and made one 62 inch self bow all in the 45lb range.. Good wood , chasing the back to a good heart wood ring,trapping the back, heat treating the belly on a form to get good alignment, and tillering to the best of my ability are some of the things that helped me to get a good end result. Sinew didn't hurt either. Your rings look good. If those giant knots are close enough together to incorporate into your riser, and still get 62 inches of bow that would be ideal for your poundage, and draw  length. Hope this helps a little,and all of this information came from this forum.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 08:48:58 am »
Locust will make a very good bow but it can be finicky. Make it a little long, leave it wide and make sure your tillering is spot on. I wouldn't worry about the cluster of pin knots and you seemed to have placed the hollow knot well within the limb. Instead of trying to figure out what design to build just build a bow, straight limbs, flat belly and temper the belly well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 09:33:10 am »
Okay I’m thinking I’ll go for a normal flat bow....  so those two knots are both pretty close to the edge... so I gotta choose which knot to have in the bow... the knot clusters would be in the handle / fades and the one with a hole mid limb...

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 02:23:06 pm »
I'd suggest going for a minimum limb width of 1 3/4". If you leave the crown on the back it can act as a natural trapping so the back doesn't overpower the belly and cause compression fractures. I'm a beginner bowyer so take my advice w a grain of salt. However, everything I'm suggesting I've learned from TBBI and other more experienced bowyers on here.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 03:11:24 pm »
leave it long, and and wide as you can,, it should make a great bow,, narrow the tips,, see how it shoots at 69, before you go shorter, my black locust 70 incher,, killed a nice buck and some 3 d targets too,,

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 08:31:20 am »
For target shooting 66 to 70 inches  is what I like to shoot, but when I hunted it was always 58 to 62 inch bow at 25.5 inch draw at 45 lbs. Just a personal choice  for each of us I guess.

Offline Fox

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 09:33:45 am »
Yeah I do like shorter bows when In the woods.... one reason is I can’t shoot while sitting down with a bow really much longer then 60”

Offline bassman

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 10:27:14 am »
You can, but you have to cant the bow to the point that you may be uncomfortable shooting it. Making it longer at first does make a lot of sense to get a functional bow with black locust, and then maybe shorten little by little as you go. Good luck.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 06:03:50 pm »
Looks like you are doing a good job accounting for the knots.
The stave is pretty crowned  so leave it longer. I'd say leave it a good 68" nock to nock.
Have fun. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 06:05:35 pm »
maybe if you want a shorter hunting bow,, use a different stave,, or even a board,,

Offline Fox

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 06:45:55 pm »
yeah no I'm planning on leaving this longer... I was thinking 65" for a 26" and a slight bend in the handle, something like that... I finished chasing the ring and will post pics tomorrow, thanks guys! :BB

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 07:20:55 pm »
How many bows have you built Fox? 

I'm thinking of challenging you to a build along competition like the senior members did with the recurves a few weeks back ;D, but my ash isn't quite ready, my left hand needs to heal for a few weeks, and school starts Monday :-\

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 07:32:53 pm »
How many bows have you built Fox? 

I'm thinking of challenging you to a build along competition like the senior members did with the recurves a few weeks back ;D, but my ash isn't quite ready, my left hand needs to heal for a few weeks, and school starts Monday :-\
I would take part in this. I have a black locust stave ready for my forth bow.

Offline Fox

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 12:07:57 am »
That’d be fun you two... I have made maybe 5 or so functional bows... but lots more not so good ones to get there ...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 12:13:17 am by Fox »