Author Topic: Marketable High Performance "Non-Synthetic" Bows  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Jurinko

Re: Marketable High Performance "Non-Synthetic" Bows
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2021, 04:41:43 am »
I made a few for cost of material for family members and a dozen for free for kids as Christmas gifts. Reasonable policy might be to overbuilt them, then test draw them 2 inches more than recommended draw and even to back them, so they do not explode into pieces. Kids bows I tillered to 24 inch draw, even they pull barely 20.

Offline ibex

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 05:55:54 am »
I also received a fantastic bow from Bryce (Pinecone) that turned out to be one last he built before his terrible accident I believe. I never had one of Ed Scott's Owl bows, but I've heard nothing but good about them. I've noticed that Waylon (sp?) is putting out some bows that are apparently high performance works of art. I know for a fact that Marc's bows will hold their own against synthetic recurves for many years because I've had several of them. Steve Gardner can build bows quicker than anybody I've seen and they are tip top shooters. I'm hoping there are many more successful builders and sellers that I'd really like to learn about doing the same thing.
 Part of the reason I'm interested in successful  self-bow builders is because I tried to market synthetic TD recurves for quite a few years. I ended up dealing with some of the same issues and problems that I'm hearing from you people. To me it's better just to tinker around in the garage anymore. I have to take my hat off to anybody that can develop a good reputation, deal with liability, difficult customers, performance/craftsmanship expectations, and bring in money to support a family or ones self over a long period of time.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 05:59:17 am by ibex »
𝙄𝙩'𝙨 𝙣𝙞𝙘𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙞𝙢𝙥𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙩, 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙞𝙩'𝙨 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙢𝙥𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙣𝙞𝙘𝙚.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 07:23:38 am »
I quit selling bows because of liability concerns, I donate one to charity every now and them but that is about it. Once the bow leaves your hands and no matter how clear and concise instructions for caring for the bow you send with it, you have no control over it.

You can't prevent a buyer with a 26" draw from handing your bow to his 6'6" knuckle dragging cousin who will pull it back to 32", blow it up and put his eye out.

Too many "have a wreck get a check" lawyers out there now.

At 73 I worked too hard putting together a comfortable retirement to have some slick lawyer take it all away from me. The cost of liability insurance didn't add up for me.

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 08:05:46 am »
Unfortunately once your bows are out there that risk will always be there.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 08:55:29 am »
A Pine Hollow custom is a cool $1200

Hummm I must be way to cheap.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 09:29:38 am »
A Pine Hollow custom is a cool $1200

Hummm I must be way to cheap.

Id say, you always just give em away!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 09:36:53 am »
Either do a quicky, cheap bow like those bamboo things or charge a fortune and make something you are proud of. Sleek you have the right idea....go straight in with a top money price tag and don't give discounts to anybody.....your work had better be flawless tho....everytime....good luck if you decide to persue it. Some unique touches/a strong recognizable style will help.

I'm hoping that my short recurve design kind of fits the bill of a strong recognizable style. I may end up doing something with the tips, fades  or grip as well to further set my work apart, but my main hope is that my short bow design is soon recognized on its own.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 09:46:41 am »
Like Pat said, I do have a lot of bows out there. One thing I found, if they are going to blow they do it in a short time span, two weeks or a month, I replaced all of the ones that did, no more problems.

If they get past that first break in period they are generally good for the long haul. The ones that failed down the road that I know about had in excess of 200K shots through them and gave the "tink" warning to let the owner know it was wall hanger time. I didn't replace any of the long term bows, fixed them if I could with a string wrap and glue but many were 10 years old or so.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 10:17:02 am »
Eric that sounds like they where well past warranty. 😁Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline scp

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 11:19:20 am »
I guess talented artisans of "primitive" bows need to form a co-op to help and protect each other. Can such a co-op provide product liability insurance to its members? Is there a corporate lawyer who loves "primitive" bows?

Cf. http://www.bowyersandfletchersguild.org/index.html -- Members are required to have their own insurance.

Offline sleek

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 11:35:21 am »
I had no idea there was a guild.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 11:51:29 am »
I've had to replace a few and made a few more than once when they didn't quite make it to the shooting stage.  High performance bows are not fun to make for other people.  They are too stressed for extensive target shooting, which people like to do.  Better to make bows that are just one step down from high performance if you want to sell them, it's safer
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bassman

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 12:24:10 pm »
Bownarra , "Not a bamboo thing". The BOW is a high performance, smooth drawing, durable bow that shoots a 500 grain arrow with authority, and modestly priced in kit form, or sold as a complete bow, and their is a market  out their for a bow like that. He is proving that with his sells.He can easily replace the limbs, riser,or siyahs with out out throwing the bow in the trash. You can easily take the bow down if need be. Well thought out even though it is out of the box thinking. Unique. I don't know or ever talked to the man, but give credit were credit is due.