Author Topic: it was a loud "Tink"  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
it was a loud "Tink"
« on: February 03, 2021, 03:24:46 pm »
Yep, the dreaded tink of a limb cracking. I was about to take my first shot with the new bow when I heard it. kind of makes the heart sink. I let off immediately, the crack is on the edge about a foot from the tip. I may attempt a repair later as I have seen pics of some but right now, just kicking back and relaxing for a bit. it was a pretty bow, at least in my eyes and all I lacked was putting the leather grip on it. Just glad that it didn't make a complete break at full draw. there was a dip in the back there and I thought that I had followed it good enough but it is what it is. I had put walnut overlays on and they weren't perfect, the clamps had slid them a little. So I may start another one in a couple of months, don't have another stave ready yet.  (--) Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: it was a loud "Tink"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 07:01:48 pm »
Jerry, a pic would help. Maybe you can narrow the limb enough there to eliminate the crack, splinter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 08:00:23 pm »
I've already blown epoxy into the crack and clamped it tight. I will wrap it and glue it as well. I may have enough width to narrow the limb some and may try that anyhow before I wrap. I also have given it thought that if it fails, I will make another limb to go with the lower limb since I have several short staves. I am the salvager type so one way or another, something good will come out of it yet. time will tell. appreciate your help very much. Jerry

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 08:16:58 pm »
How many times did you have it to full draw before shooting it?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 08:45:45 pm »
hard to tell without pics, but I think it would have blown,, maybe you can eliminate the splinter,,

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 09:23:44 pm »
I had only drawn it to full draw maybe a dozen times. I did work it before I drew it back previously everytime. The crack was at the edge but went deeply, I would have to take out 1/2" of that side nearly to take it out. I have glassed it and plan to wrap it with braided spider wire fishing line then gluing the wrap. there was some different grain structure at the crack, almost like a knot had been there.

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 01:28:32 pm »
well, narrowed both limbs so it was no longer a flatbow. thought that I had taken out the crack issue and it looked really good. put it on the tillering tree and made it to nearly 20" before that limb shattered into five or six pieces. checked the moisture level and it was 7. will save the lower limb for a future bow. oh well, it is what it is. first osage failure.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 02:18:47 pm »
7 percent pretty low,, regroup, next one will be better,,

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 02:25:16 pm »
Maybe you can salvage some knife scales!  At least, it blew on the tree and nort in your hand
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 04:20:09 pm »
As my 4 yr old daughter would say "asskadents happen.." :D I know it socks when it happens though.