Author Topic: Does cambium add to bow draw weight/performance?  (Read 1589 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

Does cambium add to bow draw weight/performance?
« on: January 21, 2021, 03:11:00 pm »
I have the cambium left on a hackberry bow im working on. Recently a splinter lifted on this cambium layer and I had to sand down to the first growth ring below to get it out. I dont want this to happen again and have cambium splinters travel down into the first growth ring so i'm thinking of removing it or scraping it to make it thinner and do less work. The cambium layer is like a thin growth ring on this bow and I'm wondering if scraping it thinner will affect the bow's performance or if it doesn't add anything to the bow's performance? Thanks!

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Does cambium add to bow draw weight/performance?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 03:24:02 pm »
Cambium is much softer than the wood itself in my experience, and nothing I have ever read indicates it has any structural benefits.  It is used for camo and I think it might be quite water proof.  If the splinter you raised was in the cambium instead of the sapwood it is no problem, especially if you take the cambium off.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 03:25:57 pm »
Actually, what I think a lot of people call the cambium is the inner bark, the zilum I believe.  The cambium is a very thin live layer that is between the bark and wood.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 04:27:25 pm »
Depends on how thick it is. Draw weight yes. Performance I doubt.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 05:27:11 pm »
Cambium is likely not what you are seeing.   It's about like a layer of stem cells like an onion skin.

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 05:47:26 pm »
What im looking at is definitely not a hardwood growth ring. If its not cambium then it must be some part of the inner bark. Its thick enough that i think it might effect the draw weight so i might just sand it smooth.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 06:14:14 pm »
Figure out how to get all the bark off down to the ring  and the problem will be solved.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 01:37:20 am »
Short answer:- No
Long answer:- Noooooooooooooooooooo
Del  ;D
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 06:30:49 am »
I want it all or mostly gone, it does no good and can cause problems when seasoned.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Black Moshannon

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 11:43:45 am »
I want it all or mostly gone, it does no good and can cause problems when seasoned.
 Pappy

I didn’t know that. I have staves in the works I was planning on leaving the cambium camo on. Sounds like it would be better removed. What problems can it cause?

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 12:39:09 pm »
 Pappy

I didn’t know that. I have staves in the works I was planning on leaving the cambium camo on. Sounds like it would be better removed. What problems can it cause?
From what I've read it's weaker than the growth rings below it so it can suffer a tension failure and splinter and then those splinters can travel into the first hardwood growth ring below.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 12:48:16 pm »
That's inner bark, as mentioned. For all intents and purposes the cambium is not visible.

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 01:09:43 pm »
That's inner bark, as mentioned. For all intents and purposes the cambium is not visible.
Yes I meant inner bark not cambium. I think those two are easily confused. I've seen lots of whitewood bows with a "camo effect" that is referred to as cambium but in reality is just the inner bark still attached i believe.