Author Topic: Indirect is awesome!  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Indirect is awesome!
« on: January 22, 2021, 06:04:51 pm »
I’ve never tried indirect and started trying it today, managed a preform thats 44mm wide by 4mm thick. Felt pretty good with that... until I snapped it in half trying to clean it up with pressure flaking hahaha. Does anyone here practice indirect? I’m wondering how everyone does it, I just held a branch with my knee but felt like there’s gotta be a better way. Like a string going around my leg holding it in place or something. Also what’s the best bopper to hit it with? I’m guessing a longer almost fish club size and shaped object. I was using just my big bopper and felt I needed something that could swing faster and have a little more zip.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Indirect is awesome!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 09:46:08 pm »
I watched Bill knap that way he could get them really thin. If I remember right he put his flaker under his leg but I can't remember what he hit it with.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 05:49:08 am »
I use indirect percussion. I’m not really comfortable with it. I hold the flaker by pinching it under my knee. That’s the part I find uncomfortable. I usually try to put that foot on a six inch block to help out the comfort and grip.

I use a pretty hefty baton and try to strike fairly close to tip of flaker.

The hard part for me is gripping flaker good enough with my leg to put enough inward pressure on edge.

Bjrogg

PS I think Patrick. Aka Jack Crafty had a video on how to make the tools he uses for flint knapping. Indirect included.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 09:59:26 am »
I have a couple of friends that use indirect, there are lots of videos on Youtube as well. They use ishi sticks "attached" to their knee with bungee cords. That way you dont have to grip it.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 11:15:15 am »
I have a couple of friends that use indirect, there are lots of videos on Youtube as well. They use ishi sticks "attached" to their knee with bungee cords. That way you dont have to grip it.

I’m sure that would help tremendously.

Bjrogg

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 07:42:07 pm »
Yeah I’m thinking up some different ways to hold it for sure. Until then that’s a good idea to have a stepping block for that leg pinching it.

Do you put pressure into the platform like when pressure flaking and then whack it or just set the tip ontop of the platform as if bopping it??
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 07:19:35 am »
I try to put pressure into also. I find I have to be careful though. Seems like sometimes tool will slip and end up on top of stone as I swing baton. Then I screw the whole point up.

Bjrogg

PS I’m not saying that the way I do it is the right way. It’s just how I do it.lol

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 01:06:23 pm »
I almost hate to agree with you but I do.  I have been dabbling w/indirect & it definitely has it’s place in my tool box.  I have been having great results w/it
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 05:59:54 pm »
I made a video a while ago showing what I call a "Kelly strap" for indirect percussion. I named it after a friend of mine who showed me how he was using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1rfTWMlw4

There are various types of indirect knapping. I came up with the "behind the knee" technique (or supported horizontal punch) but there are others:

shaft punch
unsupported horizontal punch
rocker punch
vertical punch
palm punch

You can find these techniques on youtube although it might be hard to find them because they may not have that terminology in the description.

Some Youtube creators who use indirect:

flintknappingtips (shaft punch)
jason newman
freeze cracked
hunt primitive (just recently started using it)
gregpryorhomestead
paleo greenByrd

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 04:09:52 pm by JackCrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 07:08:12 am »
Good video Patrick. Thanks for posting it.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 09:03:04 am »
I watched yours sir and I’ll have to look up some of the others to see how they’re doing it.

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 01:37:46 pm »
I made a video a while ago showing what I call a "Kelly strap" for indirect percussion. I named it after a friend of mine who showed me how he was using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1rfTWMlw4

There are various types of indirect knapping. I came up with the "behind the knee" technique (or supported horizontal punch) but there are others:

shaft punch
unsupported horizontal punchenjoyed your videos, have made the set up as you used, just need to learn the basics of knapping. you guys make it look so easy and I know that it took hours upon hours and rocks upon rocks to get there. thanks for taking the time to do the videos for us. Jerry
rocker punch
vertical punch
palm punch

You can find these techniques on youtube although it might be hard to find them because they may not have that terminology in the description.

Some Youtube creators who use indirect:

flintknappingtips (shaft punch)
jason newman
freeze cracked
hunt primitive (just recently started using it)
gregpryorhomestead
paleo greenByrd