Author Topic: Alternative to a Chrony  (Read 3060 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Alternative to a Chrony
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 02:16:18 pm »
Best not use one I fletched  >:D

Offline Fox

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 06:09:53 pm »
I just tried the sound Method of measuring FPS... worked great. Look up a video on YouTube and you’ll see it’s very accurate. People who have crony already tried the sound method and got nearly the same FPS, just 1 FPS different.
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 12:38:29 am »
Primitive chrono - shot arrow, hit game before it jumped out of way - plenty fast arrow!   (lol) (lol) >:D >:D. Couldn't resist!  Good info in this thread!  Still have to learn how to use my chronograph!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline willie

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 05:08:22 pm »
How do the audio measurements work?

most audio would normally be with a microphone, but I have been collecting old guitar pickups and stuff to experiment with

would something like this work? one on the target face, on on the bow?

Code: [Select]
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=uxcell+10+Pcs+Piezo+Discs+15mm&i=industrial&ref=nb_sb_noss

Offline HH~

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 05:20:23 pm »
Primitive eyeball tell you all ya need to know.

Still like to have that LabRadar.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline TimmyDeNorCal

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2021, 04:18:43 am »
I have always considered using a radar gun. I have one from my baseball-playing days.

There would need to be 2 considerations...well, 3, actually. The 1st would be just simply acquiring one...because at around $79.99 or so which was what my radar gun cost at the time they are not all that less expensive than a chronograph. 2, one would need a second person to actually attempt to gun the arrow’s flight (and they would need to be well-versed enough with using a radar gun to capture an accurate reading). And 3rd, the recorded results would then need to be converted from miles per hour to feet per second.

All in all, I would think that there are other fairly accurate alternatives to a chronograph...and they all might actually provide reasonably accurate results. And from what I have seen with a lot of people’s chronograph speed declarations, FPS numbers gathered by other means would be scrutinized equally as much as those from a supposed chronograph!!  :D