Author Topic: 3 under symmetrical or not ?  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Fox

3 under symmetrical or not ?
« on: January 23, 2021, 02:38:08 pm »
I’ve started shooing 3 under instead of split finger... and I’m wondering if I should make the bottem limb longer or not? Or if I should tiller differently ? Thanks

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 3 under symmetrical or not ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 02:40:41 pm »
Symmetrical or not 3 under shouldn't matter if tillered correctly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 02:42:45 pm »
Okay so I shouldn’t need the bottom limb longer to compensate for the added stress on the bottom limb ?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 04:40:28 pm »
 For practical purposes there is almost never a reason to start a bow intentionally to make the lower limb longer(it can be done, as an after thought in an emergency though, in certain situations). If the wood's quality is evenly resistant to bending the whole length, the longer limb will automatically bend further and be weaker. Not what you are after in the lower limb.

3 under means the centre of the pull will be lower on the handle than it is on split finger, when drawing . The tiller should look even in a drawn bow, no matter the style of limb design(maybe a little stiffer in the lower limb, which is prone to take a more strain). Where you place the hook on the tillering tree for 3 under needs to be lower than where it needs to be  for a split draw.

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 04:53:34 pm »
For practical purposes there is almost never a reason to start a bow intentionally to make the lower limb longer(it can be done, as an after thought in an emergency though, in certain situations). If the wood's quality is evenly resistant to bending the whole length, the longer limb will automatically bend further and be weaker. Not what you are after in the lower limb.

3 under means the centre of the pull will be lower on the handle than it is on split finger, when drawing . The tiller should look even in a drawn bow, no matter the style of limb design(maybe a little stiffer in the lower limb, which is prone to take a more strain). Where you place the hook on the tillering tree for 3 under needs to be lower than where it needs to be  for a split draw.

Thanks Hamish. Thats what I wanted to hear  :D