Author Topic: 2021 1st Newbie build along challenge  (Read 33867 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: 2021 1st Newbie build along challenge
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2021, 10:47:13 pm »
School comes first tradecraft  ;)

Kenneth that sucks, looks like it delaminated, I would have thought elm would hold up. Guess you won't stain the next one right away  ;D

I know, but excellence hurts :D

gutpile

« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2021, 11:02:13 pm »
Kenneth thats a shame . Putting way to much pressure to floor till . Tension failure so too dry or might of had a gouge on back for that to break at floor tiller .. sorry brother.. allyn take it slow on tree snap a photo. Never pull to your desired weight stay off it by 5 lbs till you 3 inch from draw length . After you remove some wood put on tree exercise it 15 -20 pulls to your last length then ease into next inch snap a photo .. take it slow . You can dissect your next move over photo and not a stressed bow .. eastcreek im doing a 54. “ overdry under sized only 1” wide .. put tape on it one limb at widest fade 1-1/8 other 1” .. going for 26” draw but i put 3” handle 1” fades. For yours 23” draw i think that design might work if you don’t want to bend through handle . Maybe go at 1-1/2 or 1-5/8  at fade to 1-1/4 mid limb to 1/2 tip .. with a clean back should make a fine shorty ... gut
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 02:19:45 pm by gutpile »

Offline Fox

« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2021, 12:54:28 am »
good advice from gut here! I really need to set up a  pulley system but I don't have a space to do it.... so for now ill continue using a stick and cypress siding wall.... my bow has been real tricky to tiller.... so many tiny roller coster makes it so I can't use gizmo... and makes it look hingy and stiff... also I uncovered some a streak of kinda rotten wood on the belly ;D so thats fun... leaving that area a bit stiff...

Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2021, 01:54:30 am »
Clean it out and fill with epoxy and sawdust?  Need a bit more expertise than mine, though!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2021, 08:00:25 am »
I think it looks great fox, idk what to do about the rotten belly wood. Great advice Gut thank you for hopping on here and giving pointers that is what we all need
In the woods I find my peace

gutpile

« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2021, 02:23:42 pm »
Fox.. that is really nice looking bow your building there.. your first?... that belly rot is scary...where is it located on your bow?.. it was not visible till you started tillering?... is that part of a knot?.. looks pithy... kinda punky too..gut

Offline Fox

« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2021, 02:42:11 pm »
thanks guys...gut no not my first but only a few bows from it.... the rot is right beneath a knot cluster, I didn't find it till I was tillering. it is in the outer 3rd of the bow..... it also has some deflex there that I heated out and it came back... so definitely worrying, we'll see

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2021, 03:10:00 pm »
If it doesn't break at the rotten point it could very well fret badly.  You will probably want to get help on that right now.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2021, 03:40:16 pm »
my bow has been real tricky to tiller.... so many tiny roller coster makes it so I can't use gizmo... and makes it look hingy and stiff... also I uncovered some a streak of kinda rotten wood on the belly ;D so thats fun... leaving that area a bit stiff...

That looks like a very decent bend, nice and smooth all the way with slightly stiffer tips. My approach on that rotten spot would be to do an Eric Krewson style repair and rasp it off, then glue a patch in. I had a hinge problem on my last bow at a small knot on the belly, I can't imagine that large of an area is not going to cause you a bunch of grief as you go forward.

Mark

gutpile

« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2021, 03:53:08 pm »
being that it is in a working spot on limb I'd hold off ,actually before I rasp that knot out I would send Eric Krewsome a message for his input... he is more advanced on patch repair than I for sure.. I would consult him if I encountered that...I zoomed it in and looks real pithy were it is discolored but looks fairly well around it..has an indention there also I assume back side has a hump.. might be able to mix some wood glue and sawdust and clean it and fill it in but hey.. I'm not the one you should ask about this type of patch repair... gut

Offline Fox

« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2021, 05:52:45 pm »
okay thanks.... I scraped some of the rot out with a knife and it doesn't seem to go deep at all... pics soon..

Offline Fox

« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2021, 09:34:51 pm »
heres the pithy part scraped out, I think it looks a lot better. theres these strange dark lines in this area kinda reminds me of worms... but there nowhere else in the stave... dunno :-\.      thinking about heat treating and a tiny bit of reflex, should I do that now? or when I get to FD?  Hows everyone else's bows doing? any new progress? :BB

Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

gutpile

« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2021, 09:55:46 pm »
Personally i would refrain from heat treating that part of limb ,in my experience heat treatments work better on white woods if tempering .. are you just wanting to ad reflex? You have done a great job with that piece of wood you should be very proud . I would be afraid to add more stress to an already questionable structural integrity at that part of the limb .. it does look better i figured a hump was on back at that spot which might be your saving grace and work in your favor . We strive to push the limits and IMO your there brother ... your call i think you already done a good job .. gut

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2021, 10:24:16 pm »
I would leave it alone if I was you and just tiller it out as is
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Fox

« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2021, 10:27:12 pm »
okay guys got the message  ;D I have a habit of trying to add more to a bow at this point.... which usually screws me  ::)
ill tiller it out and see how it goes...  :BB