Author Topic: 2021 1st Newbie build along challenge  (Read 32537 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: 2021 1st Newbie build along challenge
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2021, 04:07:48 pm »
How is my tiller?  This is pulling 45#@22" with a 4" brace.  It has about 1.25" of set, which I will try to temper out this afternoon.  I am a little concerned that this bow is bending to much in the middle, but I've really thinned the outer limbs, so it should be ok.  It is 18 oz now and it will probably be way over built, but it is my first go with ash.   All I want is a nice shooting, nice looking, dependable weapon.  I'll let Warbird's Wing handle the high performance work.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2021, 04:10:17 pm »
Here is the unbraced profile from one side.  If I haven't already mentioned, the bow is 66" ntn and 1 7/16" wide in the center two feet and tapers straight to 1/2" nocks.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2021, 09:22:40 pm »
If it makes you feel better my bow has 1 1/2 inch string follow on one limb and 1 7/8 on the other
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Fox

« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2021, 09:52:52 pm »
Looks good tradecraft! Maybe a little bit too bendy in the middle, but looks real good and even !  :OK
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2021, 10:44:49 pm »
Do any veteran bow builders have any comments on the tiller?  I understand ash is not nearly as elastic as HHB, so I want to be careful about frets. 

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2021, 11:07:03 pm »
By placing an ellipse over the tiller photo I found that the center 50" have a very good bend, It's just that the tips are stiff for 8".  I think I just need to make the tips work a little more.

Offline Fox

« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2021, 11:16:11 pm »
Thats an awesome trick tradecraft! im going to have to use that one... :)

Offline Fox

« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2021, 11:44:05 pm »
okay Just about finished up my bow.... And mine fretted too on the limb with the issues... I figured something like that would happen. I was looking at the photos and I realized where I went wrong. so one limb (the one with the rotten spot) had some reflex right out of the handle, so it kept making me think that limb wasn't bending as much as the other when it was really bending more  :fp..... I now see that in my pictures. tomorrow ill see if I can get that straightened up. too late though, already pretty fretted. and darn I thought I had that tiller right ! oh well ive got more staves ... only took about 1/2" set
its final dimensions are 1 1/2" wide 66" long 50@26" and it shoots a 550 grain arrow about 130 fps  although im pretty sure I under drew an inch or two so will re do that again tomorrow with a mark on my arrow :)

oh and sorry for the annoying backdrop for the fd pic ill re do that tomorrow aswell  :)

Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr by Livvydog, on Flickr by Livvydog, on Flickr by Livvydog, on Flickr

(Fretts)

Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

I made a bow almost identical just 58" long a while ago and I heat treated the crap outa it... it turned out awesome but lifted a splinter recently which I need to repair

Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

Black Moshannon

« Reply #218 on: February 22, 2021, 12:24:08 am »
Looks awesome Fox. I love the simplicity and tiller profile. Will be getting mine on tiller stick tomorrow.

Offline Fox

« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2021, 12:26:23 am »
Looks awesome Fox. I love the simplicity and tiller profile. Will be getting mine on tiller stick tomorrow.

:OK

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #220 on: February 22, 2021, 09:21:20 am »
Awesome job fox. I like the pin nocks. Ill be doing pin nocks on my bow too. Tradcraftman, it looks like the set is happening in the middle of the bow where it bends thru the handle. Your mid and outer limbs need to bend more. I would tiller so its only bending very slightly through the handle and get the outer limbs bending otherwise theyll be dead weight.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2021, 09:22:23 am »
Tradcraftsman - tillerwise, I agree that the handle is bending a bit too much and the tips could work more.  It also looks like the inner third (close to grip) is bending more on the left limb, but it looks like that follows the shape of the unbraced profile.  Did that shape change (take set), or was the stave always a bit wavy there? 

All of you guys are doing a great job on tillering!

gutpile

« Reply #222 on: February 22, 2021, 10:11:50 am »
chrysalis and fret bows die an early death.. I had a mulberry recurve that chrysalis on me, damn fine shooter too.... didnt build it wide enough.. Its been sitting in basement for a few years.. so I decided to string it and shoot it this weekend.. it broke after I got it strung... was exericsing it before I was going to shoot it.. crack.. right at the spot I wrapped trying to save it.. what really sucks was I skinned that bow with a matching set of copperheads too.. wished I could remove them... titebond III .. dangit... gut

Offline Fox

« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2021, 12:54:27 pm »
chrysalis and fret bows die an early death.. I had a mulberry recurve that chrysalis on me, damn fine shooter too.... didnt build it wide enough.. Its been sitting in basement for a few years.. so I decided to string it and shoot it this weekend.. it broke after I got it strung... was exericsing it before I was going to shoot it.. crack.. right at the spot I wrapped trying to save it.. what really sucks was I skinned that bow with a matching set of copperheads too.. wished I could remove them... titebond III .. dangit... gut

yeah that is sad gut... ive had the most bows fail to chrysels then anything else.... not too disappointed this bow fretted, I thought it was going to explode on the tree with the worms or whatever was goin on in it :) I got lots more tiller practice without the gizmo which is much needed for me

... tradecraft I agree with others on the tiller,, its bending a good bit in mid and that will cause some hand shock with that much bend.... I usually start by getting the outers and mid bending good, then bring it into the handle when I start getting close to fd  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 02:08:22 pm by Fox »

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2021, 02:05:19 pm »
I really like it fox! I have pin nocks on mine as well : ) I hope yours holds together for ya
In the woods I find my peace