Author Topic: Where to get bamboo bow backing  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Jacob1

Where to get bamboo bow backing
« on: January 25, 2021, 02:00:40 pm »
Where can I cheaply find a bamboo strip for bow backing ?
Any info is appreciated

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Where to get bamboo bow backing
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 02:17:40 pm »
I believe Pine Hollow(a sponsor) has some.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 02:24:01 pm »
Cheep bamboo? :o  Let me know if you find any.

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 02:37:46 pm »
Thanks I found some on echo archery for like 20 bucks apiece just wanted to know if you could get them cheaper

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 02:59:45 pm »
That is a lot better than anything I've seen so far, even better than some hickory I've found.  My one concern is that the website didn't give a lot of information about it / didn't sound especially like a veteran bowyer.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 03:19:42 pm »
Carson  of  Echo Archery is a member on here  and he's a veteran bowmaker.

Buying the slats from a bowyer tends to indicate proper selection for the job.  They may even be flattened already which is a huge plus for many without power tools and lacking confidence in attaining a flat gluing surface with hand tools.

I can buy piles of slats much cheaper from a bamboo store here but that doesn't mean they are all bow quality.

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 03:21:34 pm »
Ok thanks for the info I don’t have any bamboo stores nearby or bow making stores

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 04:49:46 pm »
Carson  of  Echo Archery is a member on here  and he's a veteran bowmaker
I was hoping to hear something like that.  I definably feel better about buying bow building materials from veteran bowyers.  Now where to find a little more cash... :D

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 07:42:48 pm »
I believe Carson sells bamboo 2 different ways. He sells already flattened and ready to glue up (more expensive) and rough where the flattening and shaping is done by you. At least he used to sell it that way.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 01:14:46 pm »
I've got some bulk on order for my site, been adding dif species gradually, price depends on yield from what goes into it of course but hoping to do 2for $30. shoot me a message if you want me to notify when the shipment comes in. Echo has one for $20 and 3rivers does one for $30 as well. If you have any goods for trade I am sure there are guys with a couple on hand

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 01:25:58 pm »
I have been using bamboo that is growing behind my house. it isn't quite as big in diameter as I really want but I am making it work. I use a belt sander to get the inside flat with no voids (lot of sanding) and I leave the outside with the nodes alone. it is always thicker closer to the base because it grows that way so either you allow for it when sanding or it will change your bow with a stiffer limb. Personally, I love the look of the nodes on the Back.  because of the type of bamboo that I have, it would be impossible to get a piece big enough for a 2" wide flatbow. cheaper to buy bamboo that is already milled.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 02:34:07 pm »
What kind of widths do you get Tradslinger? I have still never used it but seems that a little goes a long way with the boo

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 03:54:12 pm »
some is 1 1/8" wide. but it is thin on the edges and thicker in the center so not consistent side to side at all.

Offline Lechat

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 11:39:29 am »
Home Depot has bundles of 25 1.75" x 6' slats for $99+tax, shipped to store. A little over $4/slat.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 12:28:34 pm »
But is the HD stuff bow quality?