Author Topic: tracks in Sugar Maple  (Read 1624 times)

Offline redhillwoods

tracks in Sugar Maple
« on: February 05, 2021, 02:38:59 pm »
Can anyone identify these tracks? it's a Sugar Maple stave that is otherwise sound. I've isolated a growth ring on the back that is free of them. They're very thin and seem relatively harmless (could be wishful thinking). I've tillered it to brace with no problems but I'm concerned about the integrity of the finished bow. Thoughts?

Offline Zugul

Re: tracks in Sugar Maple
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 03:47:09 pm »
I'd say they're wood rays, but wait for more expert opinions

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 04:17:42 pm »
Bug tracks.   Generally harmless.  I think the larva  are just between the bark and wood and the track left has resin staining it.  I think  the larva exit through the bark  and are never actually in the wood itself.

I believe it's sawflies that cause these.   Very common in HHB and seen in Birch too.

Here's a quote from a wood site:
 Fly larvae create distinctive marks The dark, thin streaks of varying length running with the grain that you'll often spot on basswood, birch, cherry, maple, and willow boards were made by fly larvae. These pith flecks result from the burrowing of the larvae down through the cambium layer of the living tree toward the ground. The wound heals after the larvae pass, but the tissue turns dark. The pith flecks don't weaken the wood. It only looks bad.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 04:22:15 pm by PatM »

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 05:24:45 pm »
I've seen those in maple and never had a problem.  IMO they look amazing in HHB.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 05:45:13 pm »
I agree with PatM. However, the first  2 photos show all kinds of back violations.
redhillwoods, did you remove the bark?
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 06:03:40 pm »
I've seen those in maple and never had a problem.  IMO they look amazing in HHB.

Maybe but I find them to be more of a potential problem in HHB.  Quite often it appears some of the bugs don't make it out and there will be a small black encased cavity in the wood that's a weak spot.

In some areas HHB can be absolutely riddled with these marks.  I notice this particularly in stuff I have cut slightly North or East in Canada.  Other areas might have just a couple of lines or none at all

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 10:38:12 pm »
But Definitely not rays.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline redhillwoods

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 12:32:21 pm »
No, definitely not rays. Those are pictures of the belly side. Thank you Pat, you’ve confirmed my thoughts. I didn’t know what they were but they seemed harmless, just like a discolouration. I think I’ll continue with the build. I’ll post the results.
Dave

Offline Zugul

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 02:24:40 pm »
wops, sorry guys, wrong answer  :-[