Author Topic: wedge in the handle  (Read 2268 times)

Offline lleroy

wedge in the handle
« on: February 03, 2021, 05:33:48 am »
Gluing a wedge in the handle seems like a bit of a brutal way to straighten without heat...

Anyone here done this before?

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: wedge in the handle
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 08:41:00 am »
You would have to make sure your glue lines are perfect. What type of glue do you plan to use?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 09:11:50 am »
Your pic is way too big!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 09:15:56 am »
When I make a Z splice, after I apply glue, I put one limb in my vise and the other against and shim the limb at the post to move it one way or another to perfectly align the center lines on bow limbs. I put one clamp on the center of the splice limbs to hold them together but still let them move side to side a little.

Looks like you are doing the same with your shim.

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 12:41:01 pm »
Let us know if it works.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 12:47:29 pm »
Thanks NonBacked, that's better.
I still don't understand the question.  ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 03:11:25 pm »
Well i'll ask the obvious question.....why???

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 03:58:11 pm »
yes I think heat would be better , or just cutting a new splice,,it might work, but it seems you may have really compromised the strength of the handle, depending on the poundage of the bow,,etc,, but next time ask first then cut,,

Offline lleroy

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 11:11:46 am »
for the record: it's not me, I saw this on Fletchers' Corner (the German version of this forum)
in their "sapling tournament"...

https://fletchers-corner.de/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=32046&start=15#p574051
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 11:30:53 am by lleroy »

Offline RyanY

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 02:12:33 pm »
That amount of bend should be correctable with heat. It’s like doing half a v splice. I wouldn’t count on it holding with the amount of force a bow experiences at the handle. If you already did this I would drill a couple holes through the side of the handle and reinforce with dowels.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 04:37:28 pm »
I did the dowel thing early on in my bow building, they proved to be a weak spot in a splice an often cracked loose.

With the kinds of glues we have now I would trust you wedge completely. I have probably spliced 100 bow handles without any failures, not one. That includes several that I was daydreaming when I cut the splice and had to fill the huge gaps with fitted shims.

The one thing I don't like about you wedge is the poor fit, cut an even slot and fill it from one end to the other with more wood.

If you have any doubts flatten the back of the handle and glue on a piece to stabilize the shim and provide more glue surface.

Like in this limb replacement project;

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 04:44:59 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Morgan

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 11:29:53 pm »
I view that as different than a splice because of the wedge doing what wedges do and forcing the gap open. I think that over time it would cause longitudinal cracks. It may be the association of wedges splitting wood that has my mind closed to it though.

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 02:25:35 am »
Nobody answered why? :)
Why wouldn't you just use some heat or indeed simply leave the handle wide until its braced then shape the handle to the string = no problem.
This seems like a spur of the moment 'idea' from someone who doesn't know what they are doing. :)
And no it wouldn't be strong....

Offline lleroy

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 05:54:46 am »
Some woods (like Hartriegel/Cornus Mas or Holler/Elder) do not like to be bent using heat.
I found out too that Cornus Mas creeps back to where it came from over the span of a few weeks.
I'm not planning to do this, but it looks scary, so I thought about asking for opinions here.

another similar one, with successful wedge - very beautiful bow btw:
https://www.fletchers-corner.de/viewtopic.php?t=30438#p546506

(sorry about the size of the pics, they are linked straight from the German forum)
and the goal of the "Saplingbow Tournament" is to make bows from cutting the sapling tree to finished bow in 6 weeks (starting from 1st day of the year) lots of fun watching their progress and beautiful bows!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 05:57:57 am by lleroy »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 09:30:05 am »
Lots of speculation on what would happen but not much experience in most of the responses.

I have done it all one way or another just to see if I could.

This one is still shooting as far as I know, like I said, glue is amazing stuff, your wedge will hold if the fit is perfect. If the fit is sloppy I wouldn't give it much of a chance.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 09:33:54 am by Eric Krewson »