Author Topic: Bamboo backed Eastern Red Cedar takedown ELB  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Bamboo backed Eastern Red Cedar takedown ELB
« on: February 05, 2021, 11:48:12 pm »
Here’s a project I’ve been working on for the last few months. My girlfriend wanted to try out traditional  archery, so I decided she needed a proper kit to call her own.

The bow is bamboo backed eastern red cedar with a fiberglass takedown sleeve pulling 30# at 25”. I floor tillered the ERC before I fit the bamboo, which I thinned as much as possible before glue up, which is noticeably less than 1/16”in between the nodes. The nocks are blood wood for like a traditional  horn nock. They are a bit deeper than necessary to the having the intent to carve them and wanted plenty of room for my imagination, but could never get a good idea for what I wanted to do, so I opted to carved in grooves. Which can always be tweaked later. The bow starts out just under 1” wide in the handle area remaining parrallel 12” from center tapering to 3/4” about 12” from the nocks where it tapers to 3/8” at the nocks. The depth started out just under 1” at the handle tapering to 5/8” midlimb to 3/8” at the nocks. Then was adjusted from there for tiller. The handle is laced raw kangaroo leather and the tags decorated with hand carved beads of pink ivory, maple burl, and leopard wood. The feathers are pheasant feathers dyed blue and painted with acrylic paint to mimic blue jay feathers. The bow was super low mass before the takedown sleeve. It felt like the sleeve added as much mass as the bow itself. It’s still very light though.

The quiver was painted with acrylic paint with a multi floral rose vine and flowers. The bow sleeves attached to the quiver are made from from tanned Burmese python skins backed with cotton cloth, which is glued on with titebond III. The snake skins are pretty delicate without a backing.

The arrows are 5/16” POC fletched with pheasant feathers, tied down with red silk thread and created with pained in vines. They average 400gr, so a little heavy for the bow but they shoot pretty decent.

Overall I am very happy with the way this kit turned out. I’m hoping she can get lots of use out of it and get it all well broken in.

Thanks for looking,

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Bamboo backed Eastern Red Cedar takedown ELB
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 11:49:16 pm »
More pics

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 11:50:04 pm »
Some more

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 11:53:06 pm »
Last batch

Offline Kidder

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 12:31:41 am »
Fantastic work! I’m excited to see this combination of wood as I have one rolling around in my head. You definitely did it justice!

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 07:03:56 am »
Daggum man, you make stuff like that for your girlfriend, shoot, id consider being your girlfriend too!

Say Kyle, is she coming to Mojam? Yall gonna need a bigger hammock though....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 01:54:59 pm »
I love ERC bows
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 02:03:00 pm »
Very nice work on the whole set!  She must be a "keeper",  hope to meet her at MoJam, assuming it is a "go"!  Might have to try to work a trade for an ERC stave!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 02:19:29 pm »
Beautiful bow and set. Very nice.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online gifford

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 03:29:31 pm »
Nice work Kyle, that is a fine looking set. The BBERC (I think I just made that up :-))
looks great! Hope to see you and the young lady at MoJAM. I'm thinking positive on MoJAM 2021. Artwork on the quiver and bowcases is top rate. Kudos, my friend.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 09:37:22 pm »
way to go Kyle...you can definitely be proud of that one.    :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline RyanY

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 11:11:15 pm »
Looks fantastic. Always cool seeing wood tips like that. I’d like to get a wood stabilizing setup to be able to confidently use a variety of woods and go crazy with it. Like the bead work with the feathers as well!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 12:00:53 am »
YOU AIN'T CATCHING ME OUT AGAIN WITH THEM DANGED OL' FAKE JAY FEATHERS!   >:D

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 02:04:16 am »
Looks fantastic. Always cool seeing wood tips like that. I’d like to get a wood stabilizing setup to be able to confidently use a variety of woods and go crazy with it. Like the bead work with the feathers as well!

I've done a lot of stabilizing, whilst useful it ain't all that :) Best used on semi decayed/spalted wood so you get loads of resin in. Normal wood - it doesn't make much difference, especially dense woods like bloodwood...there are no spaces for resin!

Offline Will B

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 08:16:36 am »
Beautiful bow!  She’s a lucky lady.