Author Topic: New Bow Finished  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
New Bow Finished
« on: March 24, 2021, 06:33:31 pm »
Finally got a bow worthy of hunting with. 64" from tip to tip, 40# at 26". Osage with added reflex. shoots pretty fast. has finger grooves for bow hand. muskrat string silencers.  is my best tillered bow as well so far. pretty excited about it. Jerry

Offline bentstick54

Re: New Bow Finished
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 07:29:38 pm »
Nice looking bend. Hope you make some meat with that one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 08:20:31 pm »
It's a great feeling, isn't it?  Well done.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 08:31:51 pm »
yes, an awesome feeling. I made another bow but ended up about 33#, too light for legal hunting. just crazy lightweight bow that spits the arrows out. fun to shoot and can hunt with it. then when you think back to what it had been to what it is now and makes you kind of proud too. but it can make you begin thinking about the next build. gotta love it for sure!

Offline Will B

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 09:42:12 pm »
Congrats on a nice Osage bow. Good luck on your future hunts with it.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 10:22:07 pm »
Congratulations! Nice looking osage bow. Hope it brings home some meat for you.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 10:38:44 pm »
looks like a good old-fashioned meat maker! I know how you feel on the "Finely" except I haven't quite gotten there yet... I feel close though..

I'll wish you and your new bow luck in the woods for next fall!
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 03:23:34 am »
Well done making a working bow :)
As for the tiller it looks like it could be bending more mid limb out. Check where your set is. Osage can take sub otimal tillering but a lot of woods will chrysal if you have that much bend in one area of the limb.

Offline M2A

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 05:59:48 am »
You been hard at it. Congrats! Nothing like shooting one you made yourself.
Mike 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 09:22:57 am »
Nice job, got to love that Osage. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 11:53:37 am »
Well done making a working bow :)
As for the tiller it looks like it could be bending more mid limb out. Check where your set is. Osage can take sub otimal tillering but a lot of woods will chrysal if you have that much bend in one area of the limb.
the ends have been reflexed, does that make a difference

Offline scp

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 12:34:41 pm »
The full draw looks great to me. But the unstrung side profile looks odd for a reflexed bow. The inner limbs might be getting set. I would heat treat the inner limbs and, as bownarra said, make the working limbs longer, by reducing the length of the stiff unbending tips. But if it shoots fast enough and holds its draw weight, it is done. Well done.

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 01:41:24 pm »
The full draw looks great to me. But the unstrung side profile looks odd for a reflexed bow. The inner limbs might be getting set. I would heat treat the inner limbs and, as bownarra said, make the working limbs longer, by reducing the length of the stiff unbending tips. But if it shoots fast enough and holds its draw weight, it is done. Well done.
there wasn't any unstrung pics, the string is just under the metal table. I reflexed the ends after tillering, so I still need a little bit towards the tips then.

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 03:44:53 pm »
here the outer portion has been scraped again

Offline scp

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 08:46:39 pm »
there wasn't any unstrung pics, the string is just under the metal table. I reflexed the ends after tillering, so I still need a little bit towards the tips then.
Sorry, I was looking at the photo from too far away. I expected the string to be on top of the table, if the bow was strung. Anyhow I really should stop looking at the monitor for hours at a time.

Now the full draw looks even better to me. I personally like the so called "lever bows" because I just shoot at targets and speed matters more. As for hunting, your scraping must make it safer. Looking real good. But frankly I am not very exacting myself about tillering.