Author Topic: First Forging Project: Draw Knife  (Read 5138 times)

Offline Jon_W

First Forging Project: Draw Knife
« on: February 14, 2021, 09:59:02 pm »
I'm trying to get into bow making and am a poor graduate student with extra time. So, while some staves are drying I decided to make my own draw knife! No idea what the metal was; it was off an old drag farm implement. I didn't have a forge so some ash coals and a fan had to do the trick! Tempered in the oven. Very pleased with the results, particularly because this was my first time working any kind of hot metal! Just under 8 inches for the cutting edge. Now those bow staves have to dry...
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men"   ~ Maurice Thompson

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: First Forging Project: Draw Knife
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 09:55:12 am »
Now I like that, beautiful work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 01:24:37 pm »
If that thing holds an edge, you got a great tool there.  And if you are satisfied with the work and it holds an edge, you could swap another one of these out for a seasoned stave!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 01:44:54 pm »
Nice work!  Thesis subject is "Primitive Forging with Improvised Forge"? (f) (lol). JW is right, one of those could easily bring a seasoned stave.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 02:54:19 pm »
Good idea for the thesis, I'll quick make that switch ;) As much as I would love to be able to make more of these I don't have the equipment to churn one out in less than 30 hours of work. I'm really hopeful about the edge, I tried abusing it just a bit on some wood and it seemed to hold up fine!
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men"   ~ Maurice Thompson

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 07:41:23 pm »
Nice work

Offline Stoner

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 06:43:27 am »
Well done sir. John

Offline Hamish

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 11:05:50 pm »
 Well done. Steel from a farm implement should be some sort of good medium to high carbon content steel, able to hold an edge.