Author Topic: breakfast fried pie  (Read 5280 times)

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
breakfast fried pie
« on: February 18, 2021, 11:37:53 am »
my grandmother, used to take canned biscuits and roll them out to make fried pies out of them. of course she was filling them with fruit type fillings. But, I make them using breakfast filings. Stuff like browned sausage, bacon, grilled onions, scrambled eggs, cheese, peppers and mushrooms. of course the filling can be whatever one wants it to, but a hot one is a happy one. I even spread some jam or jelly first before adding the main fillings. awesome finger food too! When making them for supper, I make a few with a simple applesauce filling for to finish with. But you have to make plenty for the pile can disappear quickly. great for camping out too!

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: breakfast fried pie
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 01:21:15 am »
Great idea, Trad!  Keep the Pillsbury Dough Boy in business! -C- (=)!  I will try to develop a keto sourdough recipe to keep Little Fiddle Woman happy!  Thanks, Grandma,
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 04:29:39 am »
Thanks - good idea ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 08:08:21 pm »
This is a classic hand pie found in a whole lot of cultures. Long ago, before refrigeration was available, this was a common way to cook multiple meals all at once and preserve them at room temperature for several days. Once fully baked, the interior has pretty no living bacteria due to the heat and the pastry crust helps keep the filling hermetically sealed.

The Welsh pastie (pronounced pass-tee) comes to mind. They used potatoes or turnips, onions, cheap cuts of meat diced into small cubes and wrapped in a pastry dough. Welsh miners wives would embellish the crust with initials or a particular family symbol so the miners could tell whose was whose.

Frying is a variation I have never tried, but it's on my list to try! I could see kids loving peanut butter and jelly fried pies around the campfire while camping. Throw in a big ol' mug of hot chocolate on a chilly morning and you'd be making a mess of smiles!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.