Author Topic: Stacking and string angle  (Read 2441 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: Stacking and string angle
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 11:39:21 am »
If we draw the line at string angle being 90 degrees for stacking then that is the key. Length plays a role but it depends on tiller shape. A slightly elliptical tiller shape will result in close to 90deg when the working limb length and draw length are equal which is why the 2x draw weight + handle and fades formula works well for determining length. Pyramid bows or other styles like holmegaard or mollegabet that bend more in the inner limb will be able to be drawn further before reaching 90 degrees. Whip tillered bows will reach it earlier. If you take an extreme example of a limb that bends like a hinge at the fade, the limb length could be very short before reaching 90deg.

Offline Fox

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 12:48:24 pm »
This is the discussion I was looking for ;)

how about a 60" r/d not recurved r/d just a big Long reflex starting from mid and swooping say 4" to tips? with like 1/2" ro 1" reflex out of fades?
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 01:29:11 pm »
It matters mostly where the tips are in relation to the handle. Forward of the handle will draw farther than a straight limb bow at the same plain as the handle. I don't know that whether it is reflexed, recurved or where in the limb the reflex is but where the tip lies in relation to the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zugul

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 02:09:51 pm »
So, just to recap... In my case, on a 63" pyramid bow with a 8" stiff handle section and straight tips I should be able to get 28" of draw lenght with a hair of stacking, right? Sorry for my intervenction, this seemed the right place to ask without starting a new thread  :-[

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 02:12:27 pm »
also, if you were shooting pinch grip,, then the string angle would not be as uncomfortable,,on the fingers,,

Offline Fox

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 02:14:37 pm »
seems right zugul :) but i dunno  :P

so pat your saying that it doesn't matter where the reflex on the limbs are??? so a sharp hook at the end of a bow, and and a slow sweep both with the same amount of reflex should reduce string angle and stacking the same amount?

really?? Id thought recurves were specifically more useful for stack then just a whole reflexed limb?
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 02:51:00 pm »
Where the reflex is on the limb or whether reflex or recurve doesn't matter as far as stacking but it definitely matters with other things. The tip in relation to the handle will affect stacking or no stacking.
 Zugul, little or no stacking at 28" draw on your 63" pyramid bow. The bow style with stiff handle or not doesn't affect stacking. Only the string angle at the tip, as far as I know.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zugul

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 04:25:04 pm »
Thank you very much, every time I have a question about bows you experienced people help me! You're the best!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2021, 04:26:57 pm »
I think the longer the bow the less the string angle. I'm betting the longer the working limb the less the string angle too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline diliviu

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 05:12:30 pm »
Stacking depends on the draw length/ntn bow length ratio, recurves, a little on the braceheight setup and tillering. First 3 give string angle - the one between string and line from handle to nock. Longer bow and more bend near handle tillering give late draw energy advantage with some efficiency costs. Recurves bring late draw energy gain with almost no efficiency loss (there will be a small one in case of static recurves because overall tillering is changing, but can be compensated because static recurves can be made narrower, so lighter).