Author Topic: made some Birch tar and oil  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Fox

made some Birch tar and oil
« on: February 22, 2021, 12:16:17 am »
pretty easy to make... I have heard it can be used for a finish? and for medicinal stuffs, and if cooked down more for glue (which I wont do because I think pine pitch glue is way easier to make)

1st find 2 metal tins like a paint can or cookie tin you just need something with a tight lid ( I used cookie tin) and then another smaller metal container.

2nd punch hole in bottom of larger container with nail

3d collect enough birch bark too fill the larger container

4th dig a hole and put the small container in the hole then place the larger container overtop of the small one, making sure the hole in the bottom is over the small container

5th put a little dirt around the large containers base and start a fire overtop of the containers for about 2 hours... the oil will come out of the bark and into hole you made with a nail, and drain into the smaller container underneath!

Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

( the little can buried)

Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

The jelly like paste

and the oil

I did two batches that day and got this much.

this is the first time ive done this cause I thought itd be fun and it was pretty coo!l so if y'all got any better way of doing this, or uses for the oil and tar let me know! :)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: made some Birch tar and oil
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 09:24:37 am »
No birch around here at least not much, but looks like a fun thing to do, may gather some next time I am up north. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Fox

Re: made some Birch tar and oil
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 12:55:46 pm »
No birch around here at least not much, but looks like a fun thing to do, may gather some next time I am up north. ;)
 Pappy

:OK
Why must we make simple things so complicated?