Author Topic: Arrow length question  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Dante_F

Arrow length question
« on: February 22, 2021, 06:34:24 pm »
About how long of an arrow would be too long, I have a somewhat limited amount of what I can get in my area when it comes to arrow shafts so I am trying to make some arrows that can be used in variety of draw lengths on similar weight bows. Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Offline archeryrob

Re: Arrow length question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 07:26:45 pm »
You can make your arrows as long as you wish, but every inch longer adds weight to reduce cast and it also adds a 5# reduction in dynamic spine. Unless all the bows are the same weight and such I doubt you'll get as good a shooting from those arrows on different bows.

Where is "your area" as some here might be able to suggest alternatives.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 07:32:25 pm »
My area is southwest Washington, north of Portland and I have access to several stands of hazelnut and a small amount of red osier dogwood for arrow material.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 10:28:02 pm »
I’ve had surprisingly good luck with some 32” 65-70# spline POC shafts being drawn 26-27” shooting well out of a variety of poundages and different bows. Now they are a bit heavy for my lighter bows at 625gr average. I’m starting to feel like overly long stiff spines shafts are more forgiving to the bow you shoot them from. Though it does come at a cost of being heavy.

Kyle

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 01:25:08 am »
Dante,
You can probably get away with 4"-6" longer than your draw weight, but as was mentioned you run into other problems.  Red Osier makes very good arrows and can spine to different bow weights.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 01:37:17 pm »
South American Natives have arrows that are 6' long or longer. My arrows are 30" for my 26" draw. So, length doesn't matter as much as how well they fly from your bow. And, one size doesn't fit all. Each bow should have arrows that shoot well from that bow although you may have other bows that will handle the same arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 05:50:59 pm »
Thanks for the input guys I think I'll go with what you guys said and just try to make my arrows tuned to their own individual bow, that requires some more material and time but chances are its worth it. Thanks for the help!

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 08:08:59 am »
I assume you have a spine tester of some sort? Make the arrows without fletching and bare shaft test them per bow. Measure that spine and copy it per bow.  I shoot 26" arrows with a 55# bow and spine is 42# That is what bare shaft testing sowed me.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Strelets

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 02:03:30 pm »
I’m starting to feel like overly long stiff spines shafts are more forgiving to the bow you shoot them from. Though it does come at a cost of being heavy.

I agree. I made some arrows from poplar, 1/2" at the pile and tapering to 3/8" at the nock, 32" in the shaft.  They weigh about 1050 grains. Their spine rating is probably way over 100 lb, but they fly very well (though very slowly) from bows of about 70 lb.