Author Topic: Handle length for a Bendy  (Read 963 times)

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
Handle length for a Bendy
« on: February 22, 2021, 04:43:14 pm »
I am now building my first bendy bow. it is a 60" tip to tip Osage stave. Am shooting for a 40ish pound bow. but all I have ever built were rigid with 4" handles with fades. I was looking at leaving the handle area about 3/4" thick. how long should I keep it 3/4" before fading into the limb? should it be thick just for the grip area? thanks for any help 

Offline RyanY

Re: Handle length for a Bendy
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 04:49:23 pm »
Just needs to be the center couple inches. If it bends in the handle it probably won’t be 3/4” thick when finished.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 06:33:54 pm »
I make the handle 4" long and start at about 3/4" thick. I like starting with the center 1/3 of the bow to be stiffer during tillering and later in the process bring the bend back into or through the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 11:27:16 pm »
I usually make my bendy handle “fades” around 2 inches long and 4 inch handle..... and like pat said when tillering it’s easier to leave mid stiffer and make it bend more as you get closer to fd
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 08:04:51 am »
this bow may not be as bendy as I first thought, time will tell. but I do appreciate the help and advice. I am still rather slow from the covid, I do a little and then rest for a while but it is slowly coming around. trying very hard to get this one right.