Author Topic: paint/pigment suggestions?  (Read 922 times)

Offline smoke

paint/pigment suggestions?
« on: March 05, 2021, 09:58:19 am »
Folks, what would you recommend for paints/pigments to paint the back of a bow.  I'm shooting for an authentic ancient look rather than modern paints.  Any thoughts on what to use and where I might might it would be appreciated.  Thanks much!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: paint/pigment suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 10:29:45 am »
Fiebings leather dye, Rit dye with alcohol or walnut hull tea are a few that are typically used.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 11:12:12 am »
   Oil paint is just pigment mixed with linseed oil,,its not modern,, it can be toned down to look ancient,
or glazed over to look older or for more natural look, as suggested the dyes and hull tea,,
there are many ways to achieve the look you want,, even modern acrylic can be diluted and toned down to have a more ancient look,, even watercolor can be used to look natural,,
  if you showed me a picture of what you want to achieve,, I could give you a more definitive suggestion,,

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 02:51:17 pm »
A search for natural earth pigments should find you what you want :) I've mixed them with thin hide glue and painted bows. Tung oil finish over the top.

Offline smoke

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 03:10:25 pm »
Thanks guys - this is all very helpful!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 04:49:12 pm »
I went to art store and they had powder pigment in earth tones,, could  be mixed hide glue as suggested,, egg white would work too,,, or linseed oil,,or any clear medium your ok with,,
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 07:21:13 pm by bradsmith2010 »