Author Topic: to sinew or not...  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Fox

to sinew or not...
« on: February 23, 2021, 10:57:31 pm »
I was looking threw my staves today trying to find a good one to make a r/d and I realized all of my good hickory is only 58" long... darn thats a lot shorter then what I wanted. so I started laying out a bow anyway 58" long 1 3/4" wide and hunting weight... I could make the draw length shorter to suit that length stave but im not sure if I should since Its for hunting. its got a big kink In the end... ugh... so I was thinking I could sinew it, or I could just make it and see how it turns out without sinew.... really just trying to get a good hunting bow.... sorry so many boring questions! :)

Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: to sinew or not...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 11:24:01 pm »
That short, I'd make it 2" wide.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 11:52:48 pm »
I agree with Pat. The wider the better. A number of years ago I built an “ambush bow” of hickory that was 50# or so at 28” and 58” ntn. A reflex deflex design would make getting the draw length easy if you wanted 28”. Definitely doable without sinew.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 01:26:42 pm »
sinew bows have a special feel when you shoot them,, I like all bows, and shoot self bows alot,, but the feel of a good sinew bow is like magic,, :)

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 02:58:12 pm »
Hmm... tricky tricky.... ti’s the question.... my only concern with sinew is the hot and humid summer that’s coming up.... my concern without sinew is that I’m not skilled  enough to make that bow hold it’s profile..

I took your advise pat and made it 2” wide.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 03:16:00 pm »
the bow is gonna shoot good either way, but I have a feeling the sinew version would out perform,, the self bow,, can you tell I like sinew bows,,

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 03:20:32 pm »
Oh yes I know you like sinew  ;D

Are you in a dry area? Or does it get humid in the summer ? It’s usually 80% here in va in the summer dry winter though... and I don’t have climate control in my house.... which causes lots of problems in the summer....but I really do want to sinew a bow   ;D Never done it before.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 03:31:34 pm »
I used to live in Texas, and it was humid and hot, my bows shot fine,, and were my best hunting bow ,, even in the rain,,
now I live in Santa Fe, the bows settle in a bit quicker here,, I think its a good skill to know,, so you dont have anything to loose learning about it,,
   I made bows in the hot summer and they would pick up weight for a couple of months ,, but would settle in fine,, I painted the whole bow,,so I could hunt in the bad weather,,
that was 25 years ago,, the sinew on my favorite bow is still in tact,,
   dont get me wrong, I love a good self bow, and I elk hunt with one,, but for short range deer hunting I prefer,, sinew bow,, hard hitting even at the shorter draws,, but really I just like the way they feel when I shoot them,,

Offline Fox

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 03:56:20 pm »
Okay brad I’m thinking you convinced me....  should I leave it 2 “ wide ?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 05:05:30 pm »
I think it would be ok ,, not necessary, but you could always side tiller a bit if you needed,
I have not made that many sinew backed hickory bows, just made two lately,, the wider one seemed to hold the reflex better,  and shot just a little harder, the wider bows are more sensative to wood removal as you get close to weight,, I usually go with what the stave is giving me, it might be easier to straighten out the limb if it was more narrow, maybe someone will chime in with a more definitive solution,, 1 3/4 seems to be a good compromise without seeing the stave in person,,
  I made a sinew osage a little wider than normal, it was 54 inches and would shoot 180 fps,, 10 gpp arrow, drawn to 27 inches stiff handle,, so I dont think the width is so critical with sinew,, its pretty forgiving,,I have made some narrow sinew bows that shot well too,,
  but since you have the width, 1 3/4 ish,,

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 05:12:05 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Fox

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 09:18:26 pm »
Okay.... I’ll Probly narrow it down bit more then... maybe just a hair over 1 3/4 :)