Author Topic: ERC boo flat bow 45# at 29”  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Kidder

ERC boo flat bow 45# at 29”
« on: March 07, 2021, 04:06:40 pm »
So I recently finished this Bamboo backed ERC flat bow. It’s 67 inches TTT and just slightly narrower than 1 3/8 inches wide which it holds to mid limb. I glued in about 2.5 inches of Perry reflex and by the time I was done tillering and shooting it in, it had returned to basically dead even. I put in a Che Chen power lam that was about 16 inches long. I also trapped the bamboo back a bit so this it is about 1/8 inch narrower than the belly. I radiused the belly edges but the belly over all is flat. Finally I cut in a small shelf. I had planned to add a leather handle wrap but the handle wood is so nice I couldn’t do it. Overall I feel this is the best bow to date that I’ve built and certainly the nicest shooting bow. Thanks.
ERC Boo by B Kidd, on Flickr
ERC boo by B Kidd, on Flickr

Offline Kidder

Re: ERC boo flat bow 45# at 29”
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 04:20:38 pm »
Forgot the full draw...
Also finished it with minwax tung oil, which I have to say has become my favorite finish.
Untitled by B Kidd, on Flickr

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 04:32:36 pm »
What a beautiful bow! Nicely done!

Offline scp

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 05:15:04 pm »
Nicely done. With information revolution, beginners are turning into experts in months, not in years.

BTW we probably need a child board for laminated wood bows. Even one for manufactured material bows will be beneficial for the whole forum.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 05:46:07 pm »
Nice bow, how does the ERC hold up with the Boo, especially at that width?  I would have thought ERC would be two soft for that.  What is the draw weight?

Even one for manufactured material bows will be beneficial for the whole forum.
You mean FG,  Outrageous!! (not quite, but what materials do you have in mind?)  ???

Online Will B

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 05:47:22 pm »
Beautiful bow!  Love the color of the ERC. Looks like it will be a nice shooting bow. Well done.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 06:48:36 pm »
Nice job, beautiful wood for sure and smells so good when working it.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 08:52:12 pm »
Excellent job kidder! I love ERC you made a beautiful bow
In the woods I find my peace

Offline M2A

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 01:46:22 pm »
Don't know much about that style but thats one pretty looking piece. Looks to hold a tad of reflex unbraced too. Nice!
Mike 

Offline Kidder

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 05:24:13 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys. Tradcraftsman - boo supposedly can be overpowering which is why I really thinned it down and also trapped it more than its natural form. And it does smell great working it! SCP - I’m far from an expert, but your point is well taken - the learning curve is greatly reduced with the amount of info out there. But that also only is made possible because of the generosity of great experts who share so much. So thanks of course!

Offline Kidder

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 05:43:47 pm »
I forgot I was going to post this as well. This is a belly split so to speak from the ERC board I used (you can even see the grain pattern is the same). It’s super elastic and even after the extreme bend took nearly zero set and showed no signs of frets. I had to bend it substantially further than that before it broke, which when it did shot pieces in all directions as many before have said. But I think this really shows some of the characteristics of this wood well.
Untitled by B Kidd, on Flickr

Offline scp

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 06:09:37 pm »
I had to bend it substantially further than that before it broke, which when it did shot pieces in all directions as many before have said.

Thanks for the information. But it's too dangerous if done as in the photo. Use a tillering tree for that kind of experiment, please.