Author Topic: Black locust and Walnut Staves  (Read 1307 times)

Offline DSP1

Black locust and Walnut Staves
« on: March 08, 2021, 11:25:55 pm »
Hi,
I have some questions about seasoning black locust staves. I am finally able to put up a large shop this summer and in order to do so, some trees have to come down including very tall black locust and some black walnuts. Is is okay just split them down, seal the ends and leave the bark on? How long should it be left to sit? I have the potential to make at least several dozen staves since the trees, especially the black locust are very tall and fairly straight. I absolutely do not have the time right now to de-bark and/or roughout even a few staves, there is just way too much work that needs to be done right now. I really can't wait for the shop to be up. Bow making is one thing I have really wanted to get back into ever since I used to make tree limb bows as a kid. I wish we had some osage or more than a couple large hickories(which I definitely won't cut down) on the property but we do have a pretty good sized stand of 80-100' tall black locust trees that like to randomly fall over when large storms come through. Up till now they usually are left to lay until they're turned into fence posts or firewood. Any insight you guys can provide will be appreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Black locust and Walnut Staves
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 11:42:42 pm »
You can leave the bark on both but I would spray the bark with an insecticide for wood bores just in case. Be sure to store both off the ground and under cover out of the wind and rain. I would let then dry for a year at least. You can take one down to near bow size, seal the back and ends. You can get it to season quicker.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DSP1

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 12:03:59 am »
Thanks Pat, I can store them in the attic or outside in some storage tents and I think I still have some bora-care left from dealing with some powder post beetles. Out of curiosity, does everyone always have to answer 7 security questions every time they go to submit a post? I have to admit, it's kind of irritating. 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 12:15:08 am »
DSP1, Welcome aboard!  Those security questions stop after about 6-7 logins or so. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 12:39:31 am »
What Hawkdancer said. Helps prevent spammers, etc. You should be good from now on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 08:44:30 am »
If you have the time I would take the bark off, you can spray for worms but will sometime get a big surprise just the same , you may not but not worth the risk for me anymore,had it happen to many times. Nothing worse than a year from now pull them out and they are all ate up. JMO. Welcome by the way. ;) :)
 Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 02:35:43 pm »
I'll just add that b.locust is my favourite selfbow wood. It makes bows with the best of them....with the added bonus of being one of the best tillering teachers :)

Offline DSP1

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 09:20:00 pm »
Thanks for the welcome Pappy, I see your point; that would be incredibly infuriating and depressing to find half or more of them unusable in a years time. I'll try to find the time to get the bark at least stripped off about 6-10 hopefully. What do you guys seal the back with once you take the bark off? I was just planning on using wood glue for the ends.

I'll just add that b.locust is my favourite selfbow wood. It makes bows with the best of them....with the added bonus of being one of the best tillering teachers :)
Well, in that case some design and tillering advice will be most welcome when they're ready to start being turned into bows. In the meantime, once the building is insulated and has some wiring I'll get some board bows under my belt first. I guess if I take good care of the staves going forward, I'll have plenty if you need some in the future. :BB

Offline Fox

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 11:36:07 pm »
welcome ;)

I seal the the backs and ends with shellac, great stuff... I also finish my bows with it.

definitely worth taking the bark off... but you should be able to do it over the course of a week or so, you don't necessarily have to do it all at once :)

Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 08:15:08 am »
I just use watered down wood glue, cheap and easy to remove. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good