Author Topic: Newbie Question: How do you decide what limb is the top one?  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Newbie Question: How do you decide what limb is the top one?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 11:30:54 am »
Eric I was not talking about tillering any bow and all bows. I was speaking of hitting a specific weight for say flight. If normal tiller I would just lighten the bow And get it even . I respect what y’all are saying about Dean. His pic in the bowyers bible is a perfect example of his tillering ability. Those two bows with about 3” of reflex proves that. I wish I could have met him. Now when I might flip a bow it’s not off more than a 1/16 to an 1/8 different at the fades on each side. They sometimes work out even after brake in any way. Eric I can take criticism and learn from it . if not when Jim Davis slammed me one day and said pyramid bows was the way to go. Well I probably would never broke my first flight record. He was right. I also think one of those bows Dean was holding in the pic was a fifty pound bow it would still have the current 50 pound broadhead record and it was not a pyramid. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline elijahjmhutchinson

• Caveman Technician
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2021, 06:27:41 pm »
I usually decide based on which way is most comfortable to hold. Also, I tend to make the stronger limb the bottom one for no other reason than tradition. Both limbs end up getting tillered the same anyway. These are totally just loose guidelines. Cheers!
Elijah JM Hutchinson

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 11:23:59 pm »
I put the character limb up top, because it is cool to look at.  I bend and tiller to make the bottom limb a tad stronger, as it is a tad shorter on my layouts.  I'm not good enough yet to get into the other stuff mentioned, so I stick with what looks good to me for now!