Author Topic: Grain pop  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Grain pop
« on: March 02, 2021, 01:10:48 pm »
Does grain pop over and over again or does it usually do it once or twice and then it's over? A stain I used made it pop up and I was wondering if in the future I could wet it, sand it, and then apply the finish.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline RyanY

Re: Grain pop
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 01:13:25 pm »
I’ve found when I purposefully pop the grain with water for sanding I get most of it the first two times sometimes doing it a third time if I really want to make sure to get it all.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 04:04:27 pm »
Thank you Ryan : )

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 06:23:34 pm »

You need to keep raising the grain, until it stops. In practice 2 or 3 times is usually enough for most bow woods.
If your stain/dye was water based you would in effect be raising the grain again, possibly leaving a poor finish if you hadn't done enough work beforehand.

You can put a wash coat of clear shellac, then lightly sand. Apply the stain, and it should then work well.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 10:12:41 pm »
The stain was vinegar and steel wool, I didn't expect it to pop up at all. Now if I go to try that again I'll wet it all a couple times first

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 10:28:09 am »
Yes, you can dampen it with a wet or rag paper towel, let dry and sand it lightly with 220 and repeat until  the grain stops raising. Jawge.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!