Author Topic: American longbow twins, maple & oak  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Jurinko

American longbow twins, maple & oak
« on: February 25, 2021, 09:02:47 am »
A pair of American classic. Faux snake skin, length 68", width 1.5 - 1.75" (oak - maple), both #50 strong, tips a bit of Eiffel tower, based on vintageproject.com ALB plan. I feel this design is very efficient and pleasing to the eye. Finish is light palisander oil stain/orange shellac/sprayed lacquer (on oak) and wiped blonde shellac/sprayed lacquer (on maple). Maple is kept almost white, combination with the walnut sapwood handle is very beautiful. They are a bit whip tillered with non bending tips, especially the oak one, with long non-bending fades. Set is 1" for oak and 1.25" for maple, even maple is a bit wider. Oak heartwood handles the compression pretty well. Both longbows shoot in very similar manner and all misses are purely my fault, as my time is 90% bow making, 7% looking for lost arrows and 3% actual shooting.

Offline Jurinko

Re: American longbow twins, maple & oak
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 09:06:44 am »
First time out with my desert DPM pants and desert army boots.

Handguard is made from 2.5 mm cow hide, dyed with alcohol-based mahagony dye.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 11:01:32 am »
Very nice looking bows. On both I think you could get the top limbs bending more back towards the fades.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bambule

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 02:26:55 pm »
Very nice bows. Excellent work. With the Eiffel-tips you‘re going into Mollegabet-Style which work well with a bending more towards the fades - just as Pat said before. But when they shoot well - everything is fine...

Greets
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline dreamcraft_archery

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 05:38:57 pm »
Great work, congrats! (-_)

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 10:18:12 pm »
Nice job on both.( and the whole kit, too.)
cool design.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 10:24:08 am »
Do you use a tillering gizmo? They work really well to eliminate weak spots in your limbs.