Author Topic: Distance?  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Distance?
« on: February 26, 2021, 03:10:25 am »
If you could only make one - How far would you drive or travel for a bow jam?  I realize every "jam" is different, and those back east are established.  Timing is also a factor.  I calculated MoJam was about 500 miles for me before I moved, probably 400 now, Marshall ,MI, probably 600, or a 2 day drive, the Montana jam at least that.  What amenities would you need?  What would make you say "no"?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

Re: Distance?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:15:23 am »
I am awaiting medical results and if cleared  there will be no boundaries this summer. I have been a widower for 2 years now and it is time to get out of the house just to maintain what is left of my sanity. So I plan on  attending as many as I can get to especially an event in Pennsylvania (I live in Michigan). Probably more flint knapping events than anything else. Of course covid regulates what's available.

At 72, no more trailer I will either camp in a tent , truck bed or hotel.  That decision is made as I approach the event.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 10:47:13 am »
The distance between here and the Tenn. Classic is between 300 and 350 miles, basically about 5 1/2-6 hour drive for me. I've also been to WV to a couple of shoots and that was probably about the same distance. I can easily do those distances by myself. The only time it becomes difficult is the last few hours on my way home after 3 to 5 or 6 days of fun. With a traveling companion or two I could do better than that.
 Both of you guys would love the Tenn. Classic.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 05:04:20 pm »
On my list already Pat. Was there about 5 years ago and had a great time. 

Offline gifford

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 08:43:36 pm »
Well, I'm hoping again to make the Classic; only time will tell...its a 8-9 hour drive KC to Nashville mileage calculator.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 02:36:14 am »
I look at those mileage calculators with a lot of salt!  They don't account for gas/pit stops nor the fact that 100 mile coffee doesn't fit in a 50 mile bladder >:D (lol) :fp.  Those trips are more fun with a companion!  Here to Nashville would be a 2 day run.  I pushed to MoJam in an overnight haul in 2019, and it flat kicked my butt!  A daylight run would be easier. 
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 10:26:21 am »
I look at going to an event with tunnel vision. There is nothing between my house and the event that I need to stop and see unless of course it is the worlds largest ball of twine,lol 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 01:54:46 pm »
Once you get past Omaha or Kansas City, it is miles and miles of flat nothing but miles and miles!  But I hear that up on Wyoming they measure in 6 packs (lol) >:D

JEB, I saw a fire report on the Mullen fire, Woods Landing and Centennial are both safe and back in business.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 05:24:11 pm »
When we got there in Sept it was a 4,000 acre fire and when we left on Friday it was a 20,000 plus acre fire. We had smoke cover half way across the Nebraska. I am glad those little towns are safe and sound. We caught  hundreds of fish between the 4 of us. I know I caught close to 200 brookies.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 06:08:52 pm »
I am awaiting medical results and if cleared  there will be no boundaries this summer. I have been a widower for 2 years now and it is time to get out of the house just to maintain what is left of my sanity. So I plan on  attending as many as I can get to especially an event in Pennsylvania (I live in Michigan). Probably more flint knapping events than anything else. Of course covid regulates what's available.

At 72, no more trailer I will either camp in a tent , truck bed or hotel.  That decision is made as I approach the event.

Sure glad to hear that Jon. Hope your medical goes fantastic
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 06:22:21 pm »
The classic is  600 miles and I drove straight thru once by myself, it kicked my butt, took 10 1/2 hrs need to split it in 2. Need to find somewhere around Cinn. Ohio to take a nap about the 1/2 way mark. Bob

Offline HH~

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 11:20:09 am »
Prolly no limit, drove solo to central Idaho then MT for a month hunt and back to Tenn in the worst Oct blizzard in 30yrs this past fall. Depends what ya got in yer skillet at the time.
Life is terminal. I know, seen it. Live it like you stole it cuz its all yer getting. But alas! there's a bright spot, believers are going to a Happy Hunting ground where the hunting is GRAND. So, fear not all is well.

HH~
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 07:25:33 pm by HH~ »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 08:55:00 pm »
Never really think about how far something is I want to go to, just get in the truck and drive, I go to Elm hall every year, about 600+ miles and use to go the PA for the shoot Ryan use to have, it was over 600 if I remember right, thinking on a few more this year now that things seem to be settling down a bit. If I go far I plan on a week. Now that I am retired that is easier. Marshall MI. Mojam and the Classic are all good ones that have been around a while and I am sure you would have a great time and any of them.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 11:33:44 pm »
The Tennessee Classic is 1,200 miles and I've done it twice. First time I stopped at Iowabow's place 2/3rds of the way there and hitched a ride the rest of way with him. Second time Hank and I switched off driving straight through from here.

I've kinda gotten over numb butt from the last time and am considering this year again. Considering, that's all!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 11:04:09 am »
For me it would depend on the time of year, how piled up the chores are, and Mrs. Badger's current stress level.  :)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour