Author Topic: Jim Hamm has passed on.  (Read 4117 times)

Offline TimBo

Re: Jim Hamm has passed on.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 10:04:59 am »
Very sorry to hear that.  I always really enjoyed his writing style - deeply knowledgeable, but with a great sense of somewhat self deprecating humor. 

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 10:25:27 am »
Sorry to hear that as well
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline RandyN

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 12:25:18 pm »
Sending prayers and condolences to Jim's family and friends.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 01:55:35 pm »
I made my first successful bows that actually shot arrows from information learned in his book “Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans”.  God rest his soul.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 02:37:19 pm »
Sad news, he will be missed...  :(

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 06:43:21 pm »
RIP Mr. Hamm. Like a lot folks, I got my start from his writings.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Hammbone2005

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 06:50:06 pm »
This is Jim’s youngest son, Reed. I am writing on behalf of the family.
Dad passed Saturday night. He had a heart attack at home with mom and by the time the paramedics arrived, there was really nothing they could do. It was really unexpected as he had been splitting wood with Lee last weekend and had been working on a bow from an Osage tree we had cut here on the place.
I have read all of messages and appreciate everyone sharing how he touched their lives. It really brings comfort for us as we move forward that he touched so many people.
I have read the following phrase lately and it touched me personally: A society grows great when old men plant trees knowing they will never be able to sit in their shade. Dad tried to planted a lot of trees for a lot of people. I know he was a huge influence in my life and will miss him dearly.

Offline bassman

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2021, 07:31:12 pm »
Bows, and arrows of the Native Americans is such an informative book that I  refer to it all the time. Sorry for your loss. He was one of best of the best at bow building.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2021, 07:38:09 pm »
I bought "bows and arrows of the native Americans" in the early 90s when I was a teenager. I always enjoyed reading Jim's writings thru out the years. Was hoping to meet him one day at a shoot. He was a big influence to me with archery. Sorry for your loss Reed.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2021, 11:21:55 pm »
Gone, but not forgotten. Thank you, Mr. Hamm.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2021, 01:50:35 am »
Reed,
I never met your dad, but the entire primitive archery revival was influenced by him!  Our condolences to you and the family.  Truly a loss for all.
Hawkdancer (Jerry Mc Connell)
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2021, 03:15:44 am »
hi Reed thank you for posting,, your dad brought so much joy into my life ,, teaching me bout archery,, he was a huge positive influence in my life, and so admired and respected,,so sorry for your loss,,

Offline smoke

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2021, 09:58:43 am »
Sincere condolences to the Hamm Family.  He was a major influence in my efforts to make functional bows. He will be in my prayers and I look forward to meeting him in the next life.  Best regards, Don

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2021, 11:25:38 pm »
Fact is, almost all of us are Mr. Hamm's legacy to some degree. Best way we can honor that legacy is for each of us to do as he did...teach others.

I am personally challenging everyone in this community to seek out someone and walk them all the way through to a fully functioning bow and arrows. Take nothing in return, asking them only to pass along what they learn from you. That's as fitting a tribute to the great Jim Hamm as there is!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2021, 12:51:23 am »
That sounds like a plan to me.  It will be safe to work with others soon and I will definitely help someone make a bow.  Great idea.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...