Author Topic: 1st time bow attempt  (Read 12776 times)

Offline Oldvol

1st time bow attempt
« on: March 02, 2021, 04:51:15 pm »
Ready to try to make 1st bow. I have a hickory board that is 72”L x 1 3/4W x 1/2” T. Is it too narrow for a 64” pyramid style bow? Should I back the bow with rawhide? Seeking guidance and advice.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: 1st time bow attempt
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 05:08:23 pm »
Welcome to PA Oldvol!!! I think a pyramid style bow would be fine! if you chose a good board you shouldnt need to back it. do you have a picture of the board?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 06:58:42 pm »
What Deerhunter21 said.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Oldvol

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 08:57:29 pm »
 Thanks for the reply’s. How do I post pictures?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 03:15:34 am »
Welcome aboard, Oldvol!  When you figure out the picture thing, let me know (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 10:31:06 am »
Lots of us find it easier to use a photo hosting site like "Imgur" that are free. They will resize your pics so they can easily be posted on web sites and forums. Usually it is using the correct pic size that are allowed on sites.
 Welcome to PA. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 11:23:40 am »
Ready to try to make 1st bow. I have a hickory board that is 72”L x 1 3/4W x 1/2” T. Is it too narrow for a 64” pyramid style bow? Should I back the bow with rawhide? Seeking guidance and advice.

Target draw weight? Draw length? Do you already shoot now or are you new to archery as well?

Mark

Offline Oldvol

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 09:27:55 pm »
I am completely new to archery. Target draw weight is 45 lb. at 26 inches. I purchased this board online from Lumbermanco in NE. It is supposed to be specifically for bow making. Grain looks decent. There is some minor run off which I intend to put on the belly. I am still watching “how to” videos.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 09:50:19 pm »
I am completely new to archery. Target draw weight is 45 lb. at 26 inches.

In that case you don't really know what your draw length will be, so I would suggest tillering it out to an inch longer than you think you need just in case. I would also suggest dropping your target weight to at least 40lb, if not less. If you have never shot before you will find anything much over 35lb pretty hard to draw and hold, and that leads to bad habits and poor form.

Mark

Offline Oldvol

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 10:05:27 pm »
Will do. Thanks

Offline Oldvol

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 03:05:35 pm »
Progress report: Have started floor tillering and it is measuring 35# at 17 inches. Using the gizmo as I go. The right limb is currently stronger than the left. Pencil lines on the lower half of the left limb and lines on the entire length of the right. Should I remove material from both limbs where needed or only the right limb until they both balance? Also my tillering string had very little sag when I first startled and now has about 8”. Is that normal or have I made a mistake?

Offline M2A

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 09:27:27 am »
You can remove wood from both limbs, as gizmo indicates. I'd try and get everything as even as you can as soon a you can before moving on even if that means losing some draw weight.

Sometimes new strings stretch or knots pull a bit so the string "gets longer" that's no big deal just tighten it back up and continue. If your piece is gaining set thats a different story and you need to ask why and correct things. such as tiller or MC

Hope that all makes sense, good luck! Pictures do help a lot :)
Mike     

Offline Oldvol

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 07:25:49 pm »
FINISHED Tillering: Ended up with 30# pull at 26”. Wanted a 35# @ 26” but made a mistake indexing my scale. Bow shoots smooth and quite. No hand vibration. Arrow speed seems slow. Had no idea what arrows to try. I purchased 6 Hunter Ian Archery carbon arrows from Amazon. Arrows are 28” with 500 spline and 100g tip. Total arrow weight is 34g. Is this a good arrow for this bow?

Started shooting from 10 yd. Results were awful. I have a long way to go and a lot to learn.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 07:40:19 pm »
Welcome to the party Oldvol.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 01:43:42 am »
Photos, please.