Author Topic: Bow blanks? Staves? Leather  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Bow blanks? Staves? Leather
« on: March 05, 2021, 12:56:37 am »
I am running low on staves. I tried to go cut a hackberry tree, and i did, got two logs but honestly they are not great (and i probably just cut firewood, not staves).... I went out to try to get boards for board bows but i couldnt find anything straight enough... so does anyone have anything tucked away in a corner? you guys have anything that you dont think youll ever get around to? stuff you dont want? anything you think is just way too knotty or wonky? I just need some wood to make some shavings with. :BB

Also, Does anyone have any (thick) leather they'd be willing to trade? I dont have any leather to keep my bows safe when its in the vice.

I have turkey feathers to trade, maybe some flintknapping material (but im running low on that too), I also might have some rosewood for tip overlay materials... tbh i dont have a lot (lol) .  I can try my hardest to work something out! im sure i can find stuff to trade!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 01:01:14 am by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow blanks? Staves? Leather
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 09:03:42 am »
Russell, I have some 1/4" shoe sole leather precuts. I can send you one. I have a few staves too. Cover the shipping will cover the trade.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 09:07:39 am »
Make some of these for your vise, they last forever if you use 3/4" plywood, easy on easy off, put thin leather on them as an extra pad.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 11:03:24 am »
I have wonky HHB staves, but your hackberry is probably better (lol)

I also have some of the ash and some maple, but it sounds like Pat has you covered.