Author Topic: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress  (Read 68902 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress
« Reply #195 on: May 14, 2021, 12:56:34 pm »
Kidder put your name in the hat for sure. Thank you for organizing. You need to send me your address and I’ll get it in the mail to you. Then you get to at least shoot it. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #196 on: May 14, 2021, 01:59:31 pm »
I see, I lost track of the number of bows I've built some time ago.  I was never sure how many shots it needed through it to count it.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #197 on: May 14, 2021, 02:44:50 pm »
Just getting caught up here. Appears some have completed or almost completed bows. Good job to those that are in that position. I have to say Arvin that bow looks beautiful. Some lucky person's going to enjoy that bow.
   As for myself, trade bow plan A isn't going to make the cut. Unfortunately the wiggle got me and the bow wasn't going to make weight so I abandoned it for another osage stave with great rings and manageable twist. I chased a ring, and laid the bow out. Now it's a matter of taking away everything that isn't a bow. This is a nice osage stave that should produce a good bow if I do my part. The pic is plan B. My plan A bow got shortened to remove the dreaded wiggle and hopefully I'll get about 30#@24". That would be just about right for my girlfriend. Anyway, going to try and make some yeller shavings this weekend.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2021, 05:19:45 pm »
67" Arvin?  That's a short one compared to the usual 69"... :)   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2021, 05:48:23 pm »
Well that bow has about 4 shots thru it. Thats all my shoulder will put up with. Feels like a ice pick in my shoulder when I shoot one. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Kidder

« Reply #200 on: May 15, 2021, 01:31:59 am »
Well I am pleased to say I finished my trade bow! I posted it in a separate post so here is the link. I learned a TON from this build - learned exactly what looking for set and judging tiller by it is about. I just hope my recipient likes it and gets many years of enjoyment from it.
https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,70120.0.html

Offline simk

« Reply #201 on: May 15, 2021, 07:11:02 am »
thats a beautyful bow Kidder! tiller looks spot on and very efficient to me. looks like you will have to make a replica of it to keep.

thanks Arvin for being so generous - great bow. I certainly wouldn't mind being the chosen one finally  :)

Me myself have at least steamed twice and heat-bent three or four times the yew branch. Now it seems to line up for pretillering before inducing the recurves. Looks like it's still gonna be some kind of multi-curve instead of a 5-curve.
--- the queen rules ----

Offline HH~

« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2021, 08:59:12 am »
That center cut hetting more like a HH all the time!

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Mafort

« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2021, 06:14:33 pm »
https://imgur.com/gallery/jpQoPHM

Basic reduction of the core. Not completely done reducing it yet but it’s close. I’ll do the front profile tomorrow. I’m aiming for a yrzi style platform.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #204 on: May 15, 2021, 06:40:26 pm »
I just took my finals..... it feels so good.... im going to get working on a bow ASAP. I do have one that is already made that i will put in as a reserve (still putting final touches on it, and its not perfect). I will put the best bow i make in the reserve pile if a reserve bow is needed
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #205 on: May 15, 2021, 07:06:07 pm »
This is the bow I’m going to put up UNTIL I make the next one. Just so there’ll 100% be a bow in the reserves.

It’s 47# @26”

Shooting a bjrogg inspired rivercane arrow  ;D

I would really love any tillering advise! It hasn’t taken too much set I think.... but I can’t completely remember what it looked like in the beginning.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #206 on: May 15, 2021, 07:18:47 pm »
Well I might be building another. The fret goblins came for me. After I shot in, finished, and photographed my baby. Unreal...

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2021, 08:15:40 pm »
That's to bad, it should serve as an Ok target bow for a while, and then you can recycle the Boo.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #208 on: May 16, 2021, 02:03:17 pm »
Ok guys. Sorry I've been inactive lately. I've got a few prospects I'm working on today. One will be a hickory backed Ipe about 57" long and an Osage stave stave and a hhb stave. I'll get some pics up later.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #209 on: May 16, 2021, 02:06:31 pm »
Ok, so, getting workshop time is tricky at the moment but, before I commit to plan A, I need to do some prototyping as I have no idea what scotch broom will deal with or the dimensions needed for the draw weight required.  I've straightened the limbs for twist and sideways bend and roughed in the splices. Tips line up but both limbs have heavy recurve, I hope to clean up the splices and glue-up next week.