Author Topic: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress  (Read 67737 times)

Offline simk

Re: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress
« Reply #315 on: August 30, 2021, 12:20:47 pm »
Ouahhhh Stickhead, that's a nice bow - could you please loose a few more words about the staining and finish job please? this is just awesome, looking noble just like a rolls royce  (-S

Me myself having finished another one that might become the trade bow  ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 02:15:48 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: August 31, 2021, 03:08:26 pm »
Ouahhhh Stickhead, that's a nice bow - could you please loose a few more words about the staining and finish job please? this is just awesome, looking noble just like a rolls royce  (-S

Thanks a lot!
I used black & mahogany aniline dye with water, in 5 little cups: 1) pure mahogany, 2) mahogany with a little black, 3) half and half, 4) black with a little mahogany, and 5) pure black.  I did a test run on a scrap and adjusted the colors to my liking.  Then I brushed it onto the bow in sections, starting with #1, and faded out the edge of each color/section with 000 steel wool before brushing on the next.  Some woods kick up the grain when using dye with water, but this crape myrtle didn’t.  After drying and touch-up, I finished it with several coats of tru oil, applied with my finger.  The finger method helps avoid drips.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #317 on: September 01, 2021, 02:43:35 pm »
we are about 2 months away from the shipping date of October 20th!

Man Stickhead! that is really nice!!!!! i like it!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #318 on: September 06, 2021, 01:48:59 pm »
Well I haven't been on here much lately but I do have my trade bow completed.  It is the black locust sap wood stave I started with. It is shot in and maintaining it's profile well.  It came in at 52 pounds at 27 inches.  I still have to write on it but other than that is is ready to go.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #319 on: September 06, 2021, 01:50:24 pm »
More pictures

Offline Kidder

« Reply #320 on: September 07, 2021, 12:34:33 am »
That turned out really nice! My mind is a little bit overwhelmed with the idea of a sapwood locust - shows your master level skills for sure! Someone is getting a really special bow!

Offline Mafort

« Reply #321 on: September 07, 2021, 09:19:18 am »
Hey everyone sorry it’s been a while. It’s been nonstop work and runs for me since I started ems. With COVID springing up it Seems like it’s work sleep and work again. I’m about to start tiller on my hickory pyramid bow mainly cause I don’t think plan A is feasible anymore. Hopefully you all aren’t too mad at me for not posting my work. Hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Offline boxerboxer

« Reply #322 on: September 07, 2021, 07:24:10 pm »

That's gorgeous! I need to get my crap together over the next year or two so I can get in on these!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #323 on: September 08, 2021, 04:49:01 pm »
I need the opinion of the group please. My current favourite bow to send will be too short of draw length. I think it will be a really nice  yew character bow. If I do it right, it should be good for draw weight and will reach the requested draw length, but, it will be maxed out as the draw length is exactly double the distance from nock to nock. Would you be disappointed if you received a bow that was shorter than you asked for?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #324 on: September 08, 2021, 05:56:48 pm »
I'm getting a finish on mine.  The perfectionist in me is not satisfied, but I can't reasonably expect to do any better.  It draws 45# @ 25", 50# @ 27".  A little light, hopefully it will be good for dear, as per Fox's draw length thread.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #325 on: September 09, 2021, 02:32:18 pm »
I need the opinion of the group please. My current favourite bow to send will be too short of draw length. I think it will be a really nice  yew character bow. If I do it right, it should be good for draw weight and will reach the requested draw length, but, it will be maxed out as the draw length is exactly double the distance from nock to nock. Would you be disappointed if you received a bow that was shorter than you asked for?

It wouldn't bother me. My draw length is 28" but I've been liking a 26" draw. I seem to do better at instinctive shooting with a shorter draw length
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Swampman

« Reply #326 on: September 09, 2021, 04:37:10 pm »

It wouldn't bother me at all. I build arrows for each bow I have so I can be consistent when drawing that specific bow.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #327 on: September 09, 2021, 08:42:54 pm »

I know I shoot a little shorter than the draw length I originally posted.

Offline Fox

« Reply #328 on: September 09, 2021, 10:32:26 pm »
Hey everyone sorry it’s been a while. It’s been nonstop work and runs for me since I started ems. With COVID springing up it Seems like it’s work sleep and work again. I’m about to start tiller on my hickory pyramid bow mainly cause I don’t think plan A is feasible anymore. Hopefully you all aren’t too mad at me for not posting my work. Hope everyone is safe and healthy.

I wouldn't mind at all :)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #329 on: September 10, 2021, 04:06:35 pm »

I wouldn't mind at all :)

What don't you mind?