Author Topic: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress  (Read 69258 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: 2021 Bow Trade - sign up CLOSED!
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2021, 09:01:41 am »
Toying with the idea of a 2 part take down/ back pack bow,  but never maade one beford, I have a blacksmith/fabricator nearby,  can anyone supply drawings/ dimensions/ photos of take down sleeves ?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2021, 09:09:52 am »
Sure, pm me and I can email them to you.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2021, 09:44:23 am »
Fantastic. Thankyou,  sending pm now.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2021, 06:09:22 pm »
Might have to go a bit quiet for a week or two, have to have a chat with the blacksmith some time next week about 2 piece sleeves, also, timing belt on car snapped this pm, so won't get much shop time for a while (knew I was pushing my luck but getting a a new belt set fitted cost more than the car was worth...)

Offline simk

« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2021, 04:16:09 pm »
Hi Ya

....well...

The decision for my just-in-case project was an easy one. I had this perfectly straight elm. Well seasoned, no knots, no heartwood. Ready to go without chasing a ring. With that gentle deflex its obvious that it wants to become some kind of d/r. This one will be a pleasure to work with.

Decision for the primary stave was not so easy. I wanted to do a bow from a yew branch. These are my fav pieces to work with. I was wanting to do some kind of 5-curve.
Therefore I went for a little walk last sunday to find a nice branch. I wasn't very successful and came home with a not so nice branch of yew but a piece of elm, one of black elder and one of dogwood.

I went for another walk today and found an interesting branch and a nice shoot...
At first I was very critical about the branch but the longer I have it the more I like it. it's a bit short...maybe60-62"...but has good reflex, some decent character, no knots and nice naturally flipped tips.  Alone it will not make a 5-curve. I will maybe take a another walk; if I won't find the desired piece this one will be the one. let's see. I sealed the ends and will give it a few days in the sun to dry a little before I will rough it out and remove the bark.

cheers

it's yew boards, tradcraftsman  :) no osage growing here around

« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 05:18:01 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2021, 04:17:05 pm »
I got a little time last night & this morning to start on my trade bow. Last night I chased a ring then somewhat reduced the sides so I could get a better idea of what I was working with. The stave split a little awkward around the wiggle. I wasn't sure how much width I would have but managed to get the bow laid out without much issue. I like to use drafting circles when laying out the width taper on the limbs. Next up is to reduce the width to my lines then start on the belly reduction. All I own are hand tools so it takes me a little longer to get to the initial tiller stage but I enjoy the process. I keep telling myself one of these days I'll splurge for a band saw but for now my hatchet, Shinto & draw knife will suffice. That's all for now but hopefully I'll get more time this weekend.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline simk

« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2021, 04:18:05 pm »
that's the two easter-eggs I found today  (-S => see my post above, PaSteve was quicker  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 04:31:52 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2021, 04:19:08 pm »
Here's a picture of the limb with taper using drafting circles.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2021, 04:23:29 pm »
Sorry about that simk. Guess we were both posting at the same time.

Offline simk

« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2021, 04:26:26 pm »
np PaSteve  ;) - I like the idea of using drafting circles - I will try that some time then...
working down a stave with hand tools imho is the best thing you can do - instead of ruining it with the band saw you get to know your stave and the grain very well during the process. It helps avoiding mistakes and finally makes a better bow, especially if there's some character in the wood!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 04:46:22 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Kidder

« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2021, 09:20:15 pm »
Got my profile cut out on the ERC. The grain is really really nice on this piece. It’s also floor tillered really well at this point. Left the tips extra wide. Unless I chicken out I intend to recurve the tips. Also got the boo rough profiled. But now it’s time for the worst part - thinning the bamboo. I think I’d almost rather take off seasoned Osage sapwood with a dull spoon than thin bamboo...but oh well!

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2021, 10:27:46 pm »
   simk, I hear you about using hand tools. You definitely get a good look at every inch of the grain during the reduction process.
    Kidder, that's going to be one pretty looking bow. Good luck with the boo.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2021, 10:31:19 pm »
Kidder, that's going to be one pretty looking bow. Good luck with the boo.
+1

How long will it be?

Offline Kidder

« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2021, 10:45:37 pm »
Thanks guys. I’ve got it at 66 inches tip to tip. Just over 1 and 3/8 inches wide straight to mid limb then straight to the tips which I’ve left at 5/8 inches for now. 4 inch handle and 2 inch fades. Gonna add a Che Chen power lam to stiffen the riser as well.

Offline Fox

« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2021, 11:57:28 pm »
super exciting guys!! these look awesome!

I'm trying to decide between staves. I have several dry hickory saplings... but I haven't made many sapling bows so am skeptical of using them... but a few weeks ago I cut the most beautiful staves I've had from an 8 ish inch diameter hickory, and am thinking about using one of those... they all took about 2" of reflex while drying the past few weeks. My worry about those is that they won't have dried for more than a few months. but ill probably ruff one out and put it next to the woodstove until its hot enough outside to put it in the solar kiln. :)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?