Author Topic: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress  (Read 67741 times)

Offline simk

Re: 2021 Bow Trade - sign up CLOSED!
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2021, 09:04:32 am »
Nice Bow it will be Kidder, I haven't used neither boo or ERC. ERC is really pretty, I wish we had some here around  :)

Fox, you can use the staves. Once roughed out moisture content will go down quickly. Just put then the bow blank on a precise scale...when the weight is constant over a few days the wood is dry and ready to bend.

--- the queen rules ----

Offline Fox

« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2021, 11:29:13 am »
Nice Bow it will be Kidder, I haven't used neither boo or ERC. ERC is really pretty, I wish we had some here around  :)

Fox, you can use the staves. Once roughed out moisture content will go down quickly. Just put then the bow blank on a precise scale...when the weight is constant over a few days the wood is dry and ready to bend.

Yes, I'm thinking ill do this..... These are some pretty awesome staves I'm seeing, I hope I can make something that's up to par with you all!

( I've got a few really cool pieces of detail material up my sleeve though ;))
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Fox

« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2021, 06:39:19 pm »
Okay, I've picked a stave I think.....  scraping winter cambium off, ugh no fun. Foolish me cutting in winter. This is a sweet stave though it took some reflex while drying.... :) :BB

Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2021, 02:46:03 pm »
Went for a walk in the woods, came back with some elder (sambucus nigra) 67 inches long, make a fabulous plan b

Offline Fox

« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2021, 02:48:33 pm »
You’ve got some big elder berry there ! All the stuff I have is not big enough for a bow ...

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2021, 03:00:37 pm »
That is a pretty crooked branch on the right, ???

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2021, 03:31:28 pm »
So old it doesn't have a hollow centre any more. I left a beautiful straight  branch on the tree, dead straight 1.5 inches thick 70 inches long. I'm gonna let it grow a few years, one day it'll make an amazing pair of bows.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2021, 03:35:31 pm »
It is not the straightest but it will straighten no problem, or else it will split and halve to yield 4 billets

Offline Kidder

« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2021, 09:05:23 pm »
Well...I might be starting over again. I didn’t chicken out and attempted to recurve the tips. Used the same form as I used on a test run that went super smooth and this time it blew up. Not entirely - just split a very thick splinter. I clamped it flat so we will have to see - I may have enough thickness to proceed with a longbow, but that remains to be seen. If not I’ll have to start over with my belly lam, which isn’t the end of the world. It’s just frustrating that my test run baited me into it!

Offline Kidder

« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2021, 10:37:29 pm »
Yep. I’m starting over on my belly wood. Good news is that I’m probably only out an hour. Great news is that I’ve got a piece that should be just as nice if not nicer as far as grain goes. This means my design is going to change a little. Gonna go without recurves and instead glue in about 3 inches of Perry reflex.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2021, 09:22:15 am »
Always good to have a backup plan, Kidder. My stave's been idle all week. Hopefully I'll get to reducing the belly real soon. Might chase a ring on my alternative stave if this one doesn't meet expectations.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2021, 02:56:08 pm »
The last time I did the trade, my final bow was Plan D.  Had a bad luck streak.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2021, 03:07:01 pm »
I’ve got something a little overly fancy for my guy. Hopefully it doesn’t bite me in the butt but plan B and C are done. Plan A will take me right up till the shipping date.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2021, 05:53:01 pm »
I’ve got something a little overly fancy for my guy. Hopefully it doesn’t bite me in the butt but plan B and C are done. Plan A will take me right up till the shipping date.

Hm, horn bow?

Yep. I’m starting over on my belly wood. Good news is that I’m probably only out an hour. Great news is that I’ve got a piece that should be just as nice if not nicer as far as grain goes. This means my design is going to change a little. Gonna go without recurves and instead glue in about 3 inches of Perry reflex.

That will make a great bow, pity about the first one though, clean ERC is rare.

I have either gotten sidetracked or been letting my stave aclimate more, depending on your veiwpoint :D.  I may get to it this evening, but it is defiantly in the floor tiller stage.  A little more and I will give it the first round of heat straitening.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2021, 07:17:40 pm »
Maybe... maybe not lol. Maybe a yrzi style bow....