Author Topic: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress  (Read 67755 times)

Offline PaSteve

Re: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2021, 11:18:42 pm »
Santanasaur, you have a lot going on there. Looks like you've been busy. stuckinthemud, excellent advice you gave about finals. Hope to get an update on my progress this weekend. Definitely going to chase a ring on another osage stave for plan B.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Kidder

« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2021, 05:24:08 pm »
I got mine to low brace. String tracks dead center of the handle so I’m going to narrow the tips now. Got 1/16 inch negative tiller to work out. Pulled it to 20 inches and I’m seeing a small hinge mid limb on the top limb I need to work around. Overall it’s doing “ok”.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2021, 06:40:15 pm »
I have my fence built so the cement blocking my tiller tree is gone.  I still need to clean up my shop and then I will be getting to work on my project. I should be able to post some progress pictures soon.

Offline Fox

« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2021, 01:43:47 am »
Okay ruffed out plan A bow a few weeks ago it's drying now... I am not sure I did the best job on the back so may back it with something to be sure (it will be something cool if I back it). While that's drying I'm working on another bow for myself or as a plane B bow  :) The plane B bow is walnut I just straightened the limbs and gave it 2" of reflex (66" long 2 wide).... this walnut tree I've made two bows out of and it is amazing! I've used another walnut and it's broken in tension, but this tree is awesome! and so pretty, all of the wood is really dark, not quite heartwood dark, and has this white streaks threw it, I left the bark on the staves and it made the back a crazy color aswell, also walnut LOVES heat when you heat it on a caul it doesn't move like at all when you take the clamps off. it's really pretty few staves that I got from it ;D anyway, ill stop rambling :)

(walnut ruffed out)
Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

(Hickory hatcheted out)

Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Fox

« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2021, 01:45:55 am »

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2021, 08:15:44 am »
Nice, I thought you don't do stiff handles?

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2021, 09:37:07 am »
Nice to see guys making progress. My plan A is pretty much roughed out. Limbs are just starting to bend. I needed to correct some string alignment issues. As it was, the string was about 1 1/2 inches off center as good as I could judge at the moment. I steamed the handle area and clamped it so the string would line up better. Any more alignment corrections will be done on the limbs when I get to low brace. So far things are going pretty well so I will finish floor tillering and then begin tillering on the long string. Hopefully this week. I'll probably chase a ring on plan B once I get to heating in a little reflex on plan A. That's it for now. Second pic shows alignment correction after steaming and adjusting handle.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Fox

« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2021, 11:34:43 am »
Nice, I thought you don't do stiff handles?

:)

Not for myself usually... these I will probably make bend a little in the handle  ;D

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2021, 07:08:11 pm »
I’m thinking of using one of these pairs of Crape Myrtle billets, and make a take down.  I did this successfully once before as a self bow, but I might back it with something for insurance.

Offline simk

« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2021, 04:40:39 am »
very interesting projects running here  (-S thanx for sharing.

me myself have steamed the yewie branch for the second time right now. I slightly misclamped it the first time. Also ist wants to warp  in all dimensions again - will probably need the heat gun to finally stabilize it.

My elm d/r now is recurved and tillered to 20". I will heat treat it some now before finishing. Hope it works out. Its very slim so I think the wood is running on its physical limits...

cheers
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 04:48:33 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2021, 10:47:39 pm »
Ok boys don’t be late. The on time bow will probably come from the blank or The stave beside it. Going for continuous growth ring on back and belly on the bow blank.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2021, 10:50:10 pm »
Side view of both.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Fox

« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2021, 12:23:48 am »
Worked some more on the bows today! it was in the 80s here so I set up the solar kiln and put the hickory in there. while that bow dries for the next few weeks ill work on the plan B bow..... so I may have gotten a little too excited during floor tillering as it is walnut and takes more wood to make a bow than hickory which is what I've been working lately  :-\

I got the bow to 26" today and it still holds about 1/2" of reflex... it's 6-7 pounds underweight though  :P
It shoots pretty well and I like the tiller but it's a tad slow cause I'm shooting 650-grain arrows out of a 38# bow... so I need to raise the draw weight. so I'm going to heat treat again and put it back on the caul so that will get me a few pounds, probably not 7 though right? so to get the last few pounds should I flip the tips? Pike? add reflex in the handle?

(this is pretty much an R/D)

FD (The last pic was at 20")

Sanding handle and back...

Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

SOO many pics... but I was having fun ;D This may be plan A depending on which bow comes out better :)

Im going to do stuff with the tips aswell and add an arrow rest of somekind probably...

Offline Fox

« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2021, 12:25:37 am »
Oh boy Arvin... I won't be for that... so excited your doing that!! :)

Offline Fox

« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2021, 05:56:50 pm »
C’mon people! What’s everyone doin? (lol)