Author Topic: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress  (Read 68850 times)

Offline simk

Re: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2021, 06:06:20 pm »
Nice bow Fox  :) to get a little more performance from the bow I'd suggest to flip the tips. Gives you more early string tension due to reflex and improves energy storage also towards full draw due to better angles. Will also provide a smoother draw. The only "if" usually is the wood and if it can deal with the higher stress...
My backup bow now is shot in and in the fiddeling stage...will soon post a pic.
cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2021, 06:37:11 pm »
Got my bow roughed out. Coming along good. I think it'll make a launcher for sure! Its 58" long and 1.75" wide at the fades. It will taper then pretty much to 1/2" nocks. I want to make sure it's good and dry so I'll be leaving it sit for a few weeks  before I bend it at all.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2021, 09:07:16 pm »
Is that the one that was posted a few days ago?

I have just got the bow on the tree.  I need to take out a little deflex, but that should go ok.  That is one of my best shooters next to it.  I meant the antler knocks to have the original surface on them, but they got a little scraped up so I sanded they down a little, they'll still be nice though.  It is 67" ttt, 66" ntn, and 23 oz.  one limb is 1 3/4, the other is about an 18" narrower, that will be the top.

Offline Fox

« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2021, 10:43:59 pm »
Nice! Looks great you guys! I’d be so excited to get any of those bows ! I’m thinking your right simk I’ll Flip the the tips the bow is fairly overbuilt I think so it should be able to hold up :)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2021, 09:56:15 am »
+1   :)  Didn't you say a few days ago that you only shot D bows Fox?

Offline Fox

« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2021, 02:37:18 pm »
+1   :)  Didn't you say a few days ago that you only shot D bows Fox?

(lol) (lol)

Yes... well not necessarily D bows but definitely bend in the handle....  I’m trying to branch out  :)
Also the heartwood in the walnut on this I just couldn’t chop off ;)
The hickory though..... that might end up being a bendy handle.... I’ll see how it goes ;)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2021, 02:54:04 pm »
I know I'm late. Damn rookies!! But I'd like to follow along anyhow!
Don

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2021, 06:31:32 pm »
I got it to a low brace today, I'll heat temper it tomorrow.  This is a very straight piece of wood, but it's not a board, so it has a few quirks for tillering.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #158 on: April 30, 2021, 07:09:52 pm »
Looks like you guys are making really good progress on your bows. Fox, I totally agree about being excited to receive any of the bows being made.
    I decided to add some reflex with my heat gun & a caul that has worked out well for me in the past. The bow is still well above anticipated draw weight but I wanted to get some reflex before I start stressing the limbs. I also added some tip overlays while the bow is reacclimating after the minor heat treat. I used yellow heart for the tip overlays with a specific purpose in mind. That's about all for now.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Kidder

« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2021, 09:11:51 pm »
So I’m tillered. I feel like it’s “ok”. I’m right at the bottom of my weight range though so not much I can do to the tiller and stay within the target range. It’s maintained 3/4 inch of reflex so that is good. Got the handle and fades shaped as well. Haven’t shot it yet, but that’s for another day. Welcome any comments.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2021, 06:30:53 pm »
Well I like it

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #161 on: May 04, 2021, 03:59:06 pm »
So, the inner upper limb had a hinge, that developed faint chrysals over a few inches, but I adjusted the tiller and they are not growing.  I will keep an eye on it.  It is drawing 40@20", I am shooting for 50@27. 

Offline Mafort

« Reply #162 on: May 04, 2021, 05:04:36 pm »
Well I’ve got the horn glued and bound as of yesterday.... let’s hope my four days of applying glue to the pieces helps them stick. My backup is a reflex deflex hickory backed hickory with a Ipe powerlam. Gunna cover it in snake skins and maybe some decorative carving. For some reason a lot of the pictures I want to post are too big so I’ll have to use links to them. Will update tonight

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2021, 06:04:46 pm »
So...
It is drawing #46 24.5" from the back of the handle and #50@26".  It has about 1.5" set from the back of the handle.  It is shooting nice and straight, and the tiller looks balanced, but one limb has faint chrysaling in some places.  It is nothing that would break the bow, just cosmetic, so if it doesn't take on much more set I will use it as my back up bow, does this sound good?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2021, 06:06:53 pm »
Just to be clear...

Very few of my bows have ever broken, and they all had serious issues, and I will give this hundreds of shots before I send it off, but I am assuming that the end user accepts responsibility for spotting issues before anything breaks.  I can't control it's moisture content, its maintnats, its use, etc. after it leaves my hands.  Of course I can replace or repair a compromised bow, but the user is responsible for making sure it dosn't blow and hurt someone.  This is of course the same responsibility I take when I receive my bow. Fair?