Author Topic: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress  (Read 67738 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress
« Reply #165 on: May 06, 2021, 11:55:29 pm »
if it breaks i believe thats when me or one of the other reserve guys will send in one of our bows.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2021, 01:03:43 pm »
It is our responsibility to send out a quality bow in good condition it is the user's responsibility to look after it. What you said seems very fair to me.  If you think of PA aa an archery club, and we are a group of clubmates swapping stories and trying out each other's kit, then you can't go wrong really. If you gave that bow to a clubmate how would you feel when you looked in their eyes? The only difference is we are seperated by a few miles

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2021, 01:38:03 pm »
Right, that is why I will test it rigorously.   :)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2021, 08:08:57 pm »
Here it is, 46lb @ 27.5" from the back of the handle.  I lost a few pounds balancing the tiller, but I will give it a final cooking to remove some string follow and increase weight.  It is shooting very nicely.  There is chysaling spread over most of the belly (sort of like BL I think), but it should not affect performance noticeably.  I will start plan B and send whichever turns out best. 

Offline Fox

« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2021, 02:09:02 pm »
Okay well, guys..... my plan B bow has gotten far more complicated then it was originally going to be  ;D

so I flipped the tips and put it back on the caul and heat treated it again. it was way more reflexed than I thought the belly could handle so I decided to align the string better in the handle and add some deflex. so now it's an R/D... shoots so so great... somehow I'm more accurate with it than I am with my glass bow :)

Now the problems.... the tips reflex isn't even which really annoys me.... one is a kink more like a recurved and the other is a slow swoop all the way to the tip .... so that looks weird when braced :-\.   the other problem is it's still about 5-6# underweight....  might just be a bow for myself... not sure I'm going to be able to get it up to the weight I need....  any suggestions? I could try piking it? add more reflex? take out the deflex in the handle?

Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

20 inches

Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

any advice on the low weight would be much appreciated!
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2021, 03:01:38 pm »
If it's over the entire belly then it sounds like it will fail for sure sooner than later. I certainly wouldn't want to give that bow to someone
In the woods I find my peace

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2021, 05:11:36 pm »
Fox, for my two pennies, I wouldn't worry about the weight,  a sweet bow is more important to me.  On the same basis I would tell you not to match the bend in the limbs butt I know I wouldn't be able to avoid trying to match them up

Offline Fox

« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2021, 07:14:49 pm »
Fox, for my two pennies, I wouldn't worry about the weight,  a sweet bow is more important to me.  On the same basis I would tell you not to match the bend in the limbs butt I know I wouldn't be able to avoid trying to match them up

Well the weight the person I was making for wanted 45-55.... I might try piking it but I don’t want the belly to give out.... I don’t know .... yeah tradecraft.... those chryels are more than I would even take hunting because I’d be worried about reliability.... sorry to see that ...

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2021, 08:27:21 pm »
There is no way it will blow, I'm more concerned about it degrading prematurely.  I've shot one worse than that for a long time with no issues except set, but it is a great shooter, so maybe I'll just take it out myself.  :-\  I have some HHB I just cut the other day, It would make a great bow by October, and I also have WWIII sister stave, but I am very attached to that.  :-\   We'll see, maybe Lumberman has something ...

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2021, 08:56:09 pm »
It is supposed to hurt to give it away  ;) >:D
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2021, 10:52:09 pm »
I know. 

I did the very best I could with the stave.  It's a dam good shooter and has the best lines and most balanced tiller I have done in a long time.  It just wasn't balanced well early on and I couldn't work out the chrysals. 

Offline simk

« Reply #176 on: May 10, 2021, 04:21:57 am »
Hey Fox, that is looking really good - I like that r/d-profile and tiller  :OK you are talking about piking the bow...how long is it actually? If you pike you will also have to redo these reflexed ends again probably...

Me myself have finished and shot in the backup project. Just needs an own string, some finishing touches and decoration. Its not that absolute screamer performacewise but will keep my back free for the more complicated project now.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 04:50:45 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Fox

« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2021, 12:39:16 pm »
looks sweet simk!

the bow is 66" long at the moment... Would an inch off each end get me up 5#?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2021, 01:31:32 pm »
That's a beauty Simk,  Fox, I would hope that would be what you would end up with after you've retillered but its far from guaranteed.

Offline simk

« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2021, 03:13:08 pm »
you should try it. 66" still seems long enough. see what you get...cutting of the reflexed ends also will decrease overall reflex. but I'd consider that effect to be less strong than the shortening. you will not have to retiller a lot also. good luck
--- the queen rules ----