Author Topic: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress  (Read 67806 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Re: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress
« Reply #240 on: June 07, 2021, 10:14:56 pm »
I've been shooting 3 under. Loving it
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline simk

« Reply #241 on: June 08, 2021, 12:36:56 pm »
Bad news from my side  :-[
Due to dumb social media mistakes my recipient knows who's building for him.
To at least keep up the surprise about the bow I decided to start over and build something completly different...
...this time went for a piece of wood as perfect as can be and made chips again...
...sorry for only posting blurry pics from now on  ;)
cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #242 on: June 08, 2021, 01:12:37 pm »
But can't your recipient see everything you post here?

Offline simk

« Reply #243 on: June 08, 2021, 02:14:46 pm »
But can't your recipient see everything you post here?
He can. That's why my pics from now will be unclear enough to keep up the surprise  ;)
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Kidder

« Reply #244 on: June 12, 2021, 05:46:01 pm »
Guys, I think it’s time for an update from everyone. Some of us (myself included) need to get going! As for me, once I fretted my #1 I flailed around for a bit, but I think I’m back on track. I’m not giving up on a boo ERC bow, as I have 2 so far that are great shooters and didn’t fret. So I’ve glued up and floor tillered another one. I’ve made it a little wider, more trapped back, and really going to round the belly edges better. I’ve also got a glued and low braced boo backed Osage as my number 4 or 5 (I made it a little too wide and it’s going to likely be overweight). I’ve got a roughed out narrower Osage boo that hasn’t been glued up and I believe will fall in line as number 3, and finally I’ve got a black locust bow that is 90% tillered that I intend to back with sturgeon skins. It’s turning out “ok” - got a really nice side profile but I narrowed one limb a little too much due to not paying attention to a knot on the edge so I’m less than thrilled about the width profile. Either way I’m going to be plenty proud of it, just not sure it’ll be as nice as the others. What’s everyone else up to?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #245 on: June 12, 2021, 06:38:09 pm »
I am in the middle of a move, I'll let you know when I get back to work.  Good news is that I will probably have access to a shop through October after all.

Offline Fox

« Reply #246 on: June 12, 2021, 11:49:42 pm »
I'm still deciding what I'm going to do.... I just about finished up my first bow, the walnut one... but I'm not going to put tip overlays or handle wrap on it until I make a few more bows and decide which is the best.... I've got some difficult things for me to get to put on as overlays and handle wrap and only have enough for one bow so want to make sure I put it on the best shooter. for the ruffed out hickory I'm worried about humidity, we have no air conditioning and not much of a good place to keep bows dry, sooo summer bow building is a challenge, I do have a room with a dehumidifier in it but my summer hickory bows I still struggle to keep dry.... going to try fire hardening the crap outa one of the hickory bows, see how that goes :)

there all-around 9-10% .... much too wet...
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2021, 12:56:24 am »
Bamboo backed padauk. have to get it down to weight, shoot it in and dress it up.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2021, 07:14:34 pm »
Bamboo backed padauk. have to get it down to weight, shoot it in and dress it up.

That looks really good. 

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2021, 08:38:29 pm »
That does look good.
Got my bow tillered. Shaped the grip today and started shooting it in a little. Going to shoot it all week and hopefully there will be no surprises.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2021, 01:46:06 pm »
A guy on UK workshop was/ is sending me some aerolite glue to test, but that was 2 weeks ago. Looks like the post office lost it. Am going to order some anyway, hope to post an update soon.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #251 on: June 17, 2021, 02:07:47 pm »
The guy on UK Workshop (many, many, thanks) sent me a second batch. At first look it
(Semforite) seems like cascamite but better, certainly much easier to mix and easier to clean up. My prototype is glued up, will leave it cure up and hopefully get it on the tiller tree over the weekend.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: June 18, 2021, 10:10:20 am »
I ruined the tiller on my plan B Osage take-down, so I'm reconsidering my plan A bow - a Crepe Myrtle take-down.  I originally dismissed it because I didn't think I had enough wood, but actually, now that I have both limbs fitted into the sleeve, I'm gaining confidence.  I'm traveling now, but I'll post pics when I get back home.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #253 on: June 20, 2021, 08:10:07 pm »
So, I pretty much got plan B tillered. I've put about 75 arrows through it and tiller hasn't moved. I'll shoot it in some more and if everything looks good I'll proceed with finishing it. Right now, I'm about 2 pounds over target weight. Won't be for a few weeks.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Kidder

« Reply #254 on: June 21, 2021, 02:48:56 am »
That’s looking great pasteve!