Author Topic: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress  (Read 67769 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: 2021 Bow Trade - build in progress
« Reply #390 on: October 25, 2021, 02:48:43 pm »
Thankyou

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #391 on: October 28, 2021, 12:02:23 pm »
Alright gang, who wants to enter their trade bow for Sept-Oct BOM?  Drop me a PM.
...Tom

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #392 on: October 29, 2021, 10:16:56 am »
Just received my bow from Stickhead.  This bow is amazing, can't express how good.

Just one small thing I want to ask.  It seems Customs (or USPS) cut the string into 3 pieces, although the parcel is not marked "opened by customs", my guess is if the bow and string were shipped together that counts as shipping a functioning weapon?? Anyway, making up a new string won't be a problem, but as I am shipping a bow through UK Customs this weekend, should I post the string separately?

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #393 on: October 29, 2021, 10:55:40 am »
Just received my bow from Stickhead.  This bow is amazing, can't express how good.

Just one small thing I want to ask.  It seems Customs (or USPS) cut the string into 3 pieces, although the parcel is not marked "opened by customs", my guess is if the bow and string were shipped together that counts as shipping a functioning weapon?? Anyway, making up a new string won't be a problem, but as I am shipping a bow through UK Customs this weekend, should I post the string separately?

Well, I'm glad the bow made it okay.  I never would have guessed that they would cut up the string.  I suppose separate parcels would be safer.

Offline simk

« Reply #394 on: November 02, 2021, 04:12:34 am »
Its nothing like what he asked for but maybe that's a good thing since its definitely not one he'd ever make for himself?

well, I personally wouldn't be too happy to get something I hadn't asked for. It's really not what the trade is about....there's not so many rules, but delievering a bow at the requsted stats seems like the very basics. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 07:16:52 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #395 on: November 02, 2021, 10:57:30 am »
Fair enough, I know your standards are incredibly high, and I am not yet the bowyer I would like to be, but, this is easily the best bow I ever built, it draws to half its over-all length and has almost zero set.  It is silent on release and smooth on the draw and I have found several reasons not to get to the post office because I just like looking at it.  It is in fact above my guy's draw weight but at, or slightly above his draw length.  As far as I am aware, this meets the obligations of the trade.  I feel that one of the purposes of the trade is to give your guy something they would not make themselves.  Look, if I made a beautiful pyramid bow in osage, hickory or yew then that is just what everyone on the trade would build for themselves, except they would make it better than I can, but, if I make a bow in a wood and/or a style that my guy would never build then they get to broaden their experience - I figure a character yew is pretty unique, in my signature style and the best representation of my current skills.  I hope my guy can appreciate it for being my best, it is at, or as close to, his stats as I can get and the best bow I can build.  If its not good enough then I don't send out a bow then he gets nothing and I get to keep it.................

Offline simk

« Reply #396 on: November 02, 2021, 11:55:49 am »
now comfortably draws to my guy's draw length but I've missed his draw weight by a few pounds.

OK fine stuckinthemud, If you added poundage since...sorry. Basic rules observed!

It is one thing to make the best bow you can. On the other hand it should not fall off too much from average level of the trade bows which indeed is very high; otherwise the trade is not a fair one. imho. I personally did wait a few years now before entering the bow trade, just because I felt my bowmaking wasn't yet good enough. Entering the trade for me means you have the wood and the skills to make any requested bow and to make any participant a happy recipient.

cheers

--- the queen rules ----

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #397 on: November 02, 2021, 01:58:04 pm »
Right, so at requested draw length I am 2lb light, but a half inch past draw length I am over the required draw weight.  So, what do y'all think?

" Full draw "photo is not quite at fd as I do not like holding a biw at max length long enough to take a photo

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 03:26:09 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #398 on: November 02, 2021, 05:42:19 pm »
Fair enough, I know your standards are incredibly high, and I am not yet the bowyer I would like to be, but, this is easily the best bow I ever built, it draws to half its over-all length and has almost zero set.  It is silent on release and smooth on the draw and I have found several reasons not to get to the post office because I just like looking at it.  It is in fact above my guy's draw weight but at, or slightly above his draw length.  As far as I am aware, this meets the obligations of the trade.  I feel that one of the purposes of the trade is to give your guy something they would not make themselves.  Look, if I made a beautiful pyramid bow in osage, hickory or yew then that is just what everyone on the trade would build for themselves, except they would make it better than I can, but, if I make a bow in a wood and/or a style that my guy would never build then they get to broaden their experience - I figure a character yew is pretty unique, in my signature style and the best representation of my current skills.  I hope my guy can appreciate it for being my best, it is at, or as close to, his stats as I can get and the best bow I can build.  If its not good enough then I don't send out a bow then he gets nothing and I get to keep it.................

I think this is more in line with the impression I got at the start.  If it is not to heavy to be shot, or to light to be used, or uncomfortably long or shot draw, I see no issue.  I would be very pleased to get that bow.  ;D

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #399 on: November 02, 2021, 09:27:37 pm »
Stickinthemud - I think that’s a fine bow!  It’s full of character and looks great!  You should be proud of it, and I’m sure the recipient will be thrilled.  I know I would be!  A couple of pounds give or take wouldn’t matter to me.  That was my thinking for your bow, anyway.  (Might be a tad heavy)

Offline simk

« Reply #400 on: November 03, 2021, 04:38:17 am »
I do roughly see a hinge at the grip, then a stiff section and (maybe) another hinge...
--- the queen rules ----

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #401 on: November 03, 2021, 07:01:00 am »
I am not sure, there may be,, but, that is where the wood wiggles up and down.  I've been very wary about this section as full draw should follow unbraced profile, but, if I hit that downward bend with a little heat, it should give me the couple of pounds I need. The 'stiff' section is a reflexed section, I am really not sure making it bend more is a good idea. Would welcome some advice on this.

Offline simk

« Reply #402 on: November 03, 2021, 07:42:51 am »
yeah, you of course know your wiggles best  ;D

in my impression there is a hinge at the fade. If its not a bad mistake in taper (obviously thin spot) dry heat can do a lot, even close to center.

If the stiffer section in the unbraced profile (which I dont have)  is not visible as a very pronounced reflex, it should bend more. imho. maybe scrape it a bit, also to reveil stress from the hinge.

both measures should not lead to a loss of drawweight.

good luck!
--- the queen rules ----

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #403 on: November 03, 2021, 11:46:36 am »
Thank you, will take it slow

Offline Kidder

« Reply #404 on: November 03, 2021, 05:55:26 pm »
Deerhunter21 your inbox is full. Please also PM me your contact info.
Additionally, for those who have been waiting, I’m hoping to have the on time bow drawing completed in the next few days and then shipping out from there. I believe i will video the process and post a link to it here. Gonna be exciting!