Author Topic: Fish skin?  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Fish skin?
« on: March 06, 2021, 02:46:12 pm »
My brothers brought home a 20" and a 25" pickerel.  The skins look very interesting, how do you remove and preserve fish skin? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Fish skin?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 03:13:54 pm »
Work it just like snake skins, flesh it well and dry unless you plan to use them immediately. You may have to do a little more degreasing with fish skins but Dawn will do that for you. I've only done carp skin backing. Be sure the pattern is in the skin and not on the scales.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 05:12:45 pm »
on salmon I had to take scales off

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 07:00:51 pm »
I think, like with snake skins you should remove the scales on fish skins too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 03:28:56 am »
A Friend Years ago, Used Northern Pike Skins. Saved the Skin after Filleting & and tacked it out to be dried. Once dried, He scaled and degreased with Acetone and applied just like Snake Skins. Was a Cool look - the spots and Colors really popped under Spar Urethane. He called it "Fish Stik" LOL ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 11:43:57 am »
Thanks for the info, but it seemed most of the color was in the scales, and the skins wouldn't come off well.  O well