Author Topic: Couple of Points  (Read 4194 times)

Offline RickB

Couple of Points
« on: March 10, 2021, 02:09:14 pm »
Here are two colorful heat treated agatized Florida coral points that I knapped last week. I picked the coral
up a couple years ago at the North GA Knap-in. Spent about four hours on the two points. It was a fresh air,
sunshine, 70 degree and pine tree pollen kind of day at Santee State Park in SC. RickB

This dacite preform broke on me but I was able to get a dovetail from it anyway.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 05:02:52 pm by RickB »

Offline Parnell

Re: Couple of Points
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 02:47:40 pm »
Beautiful points, Rick.  Really like the look of the point and coral quality of that first point.  Your flaking scars are great.
1’—>1’

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 04:54:16 pm »
Very nice work. Going to have to get me some coral. That stuff looks like butter.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 05:30:02 pm »
Very nice Rick. Got up to the 50’s here. Man that feels warm when the sun is shining and the wind is calm.
I’m pretty sure we have nasty weather left yet though.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 03:02:53 am »
Nice work!  Good recovery from the break!  We had a couple days pushed 70F, got a winter storm watch starting Friday, possibly 15"-29" snow!  3'-4' in the Front Range north of Denver!  Still 2 weekd 'til Spring, though (S) (lol) >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 01:22:40 pm »
That coral is pretty stuff. Nice work.

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 09:26:57 pm »
Nice work.  I used to head back home (SC) every March to sit out in the blowout for a few nights loading the boat with big blue cats, and would use the lights from the state park...like the old timers used the stars...to navigate to my favorite honey holes.  Hawkdancer, did not realize how close you were to me.  This storm is going to be a doozy huh?!  We, being southern folk, are stoked about the possibility of seeing what 40” of snow looks like and getting out and playing in it...my neighbors think we are absolutely nuts!  We need to get together and chase some turkeys with the self sticks sometime.

Offline RickB

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 08:16:05 am »
Nice work.  I used to head back home (SC) every March to sit out in the blowout for a few nights loading the boat with big blue cats, and would use the lights from the state park...like the old timers used the stars...to navigate to my favorite honey holes.  Hawkdancer, did not realize how close you were to me.  This storm is going to be a doozy huh?!  We, being southern folk, are stoked about the possibility of seeing what 40” of snow looks like and getting out and playing in it...my neighbors think we are absolutely nuts!  We need to get together and chase some turkeys with the self sticks sometime.

Caught this one last October at the state park. Weighed 19 lbs. Largest I've caught from Santee using a rod and reel was a 52 lb blue catfish.

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 03:15:35 pm »
Ive caught two that have gone 49.  The amazing thing about that place, at least between 2007 and 2015, was the big-fish consistency.  Most nights that we went out in the spring, we'd catch 2 or 3 on a slow night and we'd have a fish on every 15-20 minutes on hot nights, but the fish were all 18-22 lbs with the occaisional 7-10 lb fish and the occasional 30+ pounder.  Once I figured out that I needed to filet the clear fat off the outside of the filet as well as remove any red meat, I would have fish frys where I'd tell everyone I was frying bass and listen to the folks down talk catfish while gobbling it up and heaping praise on this "bass" they were eating.  A good night on the Santee could more than take care of my fish fry needs for a solid year, and a "bad" night would take care of my soul for good long while.  What an incredible resource that place is for anyone who puts forth the effort to explore it.  I miss it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 11:25:28 am »
Great looking points, Rick. I’m ready to get into the rock I brought with me from Florida. Getting settled in SC is taking a lot longer then expected but hope to be in the new place next week.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 02:16:40 pm »
Great looking points, Rick. I’m ready to get into the rock I brought with me from Florida. Getting settled in SC is taking a lot longer then expected but hope to be in the new place next week.

I always hate moving Eddie. I still have stuff I never unpacked from moving in 1984.

Probably should look through it sometime. It wasn’t worth anything then. Might be something that is actually worth something now.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 07:51:46 pm »
I think I solved that problem this time Brian. I gave a ton of stuff away.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline RickB

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 08:01:28 pm »
Haven't done much flint knapping in the past few weeks but did put in about three hours one day
while on a recent camping trip. Finished a decent dovetail out of some heat treated fossil coral. The
point is 4 inches long and 1 5/8 inches wide. There's a nice band of brown that flows across the base
then along the entire edge to the tip.

Caught 28 blue crabs one morning while on the camping trip - photo inside a 48 quart cooler.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 09:49:09 pm by RickB »