Author Topic: Highland Horn closed?  (Read 6199 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Highland Horn closed?
« on: March 11, 2021, 02:55:51 pm »
Been trying to find the Highland Horn website and failed, then found a post on a stick-making forum that the owner retired.  Other than The Stickman, anyone know of a decent alternative to HH?

Offline Ruddy Darter

• Sympetrum sanguineum
Re: Highland Horn closed?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 03:38:12 pm »
Have you tried Abbey Horn? Not tried them myself, they did have a varied stock, not sure how you'd find them pricewise.

R.D.
Mon arc, mon cœur. Gardez la foi!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 03:40:44 pm »
No.  Will check them out. Ta

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 02:24:34 am »
You might be able to find a breeder/grower as a direct source, assuming they poll the horns.  The cleaning, smoothing , and polishing is a bit of work.  Here in the US, a slaughter house, a rancher, or a feed lot would be likely sources.  Not sure how long the Highland horns are.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 03:57:03 am »
You might be able to find a breeder/grower as a direct source, assuming they poll the horns.  The cleaning, smoothing , and polishing is a bit of work.  Here in the US, a slaughter house, a rancher, or a feed lot would be likely sources.  Not sure how long the Highland horns are.
Hawkdancer

He was a supplier of buffalo horn. Been closed a good while now.
I ordered some horn, sinew etc from Dictum 8 weeks ago and it still hasn't turned up. Delayed due to brexit.....what the????? Its gettting harder and harder to source esoteric stuff....

Offline Ruddy Darter

• Sympetrum sanguineum
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 03:59:48 am »
Yeah, sorry about that  ::). I read this post in the latest post section and not realised it was in regards to horn bow making when I answered , (I got horn for bow nocks from Highland horn in the past). I have no idea in regards to horn bow making, I don't know if anything useful on Abbey horn site.       
 Apologies,
R.D.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 04:39:40 am by Ruddy Darter »
Mon arc, mon cœur. Gardez la foi!